Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firebreathingun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,436
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y50 auto shut down

I've recently purchased (2 days) a Y 50 model, and I've run into many problems. However the most annoying one so far is that my system randomly shuts down all the time!!
The first couple of times its happened it was due to a windows update, and that i can understand, however, recently its been doing it irrespectively of updates.
This is especially annoying if I'm writing up word documents and it shuts down. Its not over heating or anything and its even shut down when there is nothing running, just sitting on the desktop screen.
I've read that some people have been having the same issue with other models as well.

Seeing as I'm from New zealand and i bought this from the US, I'm not really wanting to send it back as it would cost me a fortune for freight and then customs if i were to get it back.

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this issue and if so if there is a fix to this???

regards 

William

stravisb
What's DOS?
Views: 1,309
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y50 auto shut down

I have the same issue, its happened twice just in the time it took me to reply to you. I was worried it was my fault at first because the first thing I did when I got the laptop was replace the hard drive with an SSD and do a fresh install of windows 8.1. The more I pry, the less I think its my fault though so I went searching for someone else posting the same issue. Are you using the original harddrive?

firebreathingun
Paper Tape
Views: 1,302
Message 3 of 5

Its been a week now since I've started using this ****, and im starting to get really frustrated at it. 
I've been browsing the web on this "kernel-power 41" issue and I've done most of what people have posted. 
Idon't really want to replace the current hardware etc as it will just be more costs involved.
I've also done a clean install of windows 8.1
Has your issue been fixed after replacing the original harddrive?

iDesign
802.11n
Views: 1,284
Message 4 of 5

Kernal power 41 is basically windows timing out waiting for a device to respond. You could have faulty ram, graphics driver problem or out of date. Or I've read that having 2 anti virus softwares can cause this. I'd personally do a fresh install of windows.
Lenovo y510p - Intel Quad-core 4th gen i7-4700MQ @3.40Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB HDD 8GB SSD - 1080p FHD - Nvidia 755m SLI
stravisb
What's DOS?
Views: 1,216
Message 5 of 5

No, I put the stock drive back in and shipped it back to TigerDirect
Wednesday. I just wasn't willing to deal with a > $1000 laptop that likes
to go on break sporadically.

After I replied to your post, I searched for a while to no avail. I
suspected a wiring issue. Best of luck with it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors