05-27-2015 01:48 AM
Do anyone know if the Lenovo Y50 is still having the screen display hinge breaking or exploding from the base problem?
Solved! Go to Solution.
05-27-2015 01:16 PM
Well seems like people are still having issues with it. I dont think its a huge problem but it is a problem with the number of complaints seen here.
Reading through the forum posts I found 2 things -
1) If your Y50 gets damaged at the hinge it will be covered by warranty.
2) The left hinge nut is a bit tight which is making this issue, you could loosen it as soon as you receive your laptop (if you decide to buy)
Check this (Pg 9, second last post by WTB_Fix) -
05-27-2015 03:57 PM
05-28-2015 07:19 AM
There are a couple of things to consider here -
1) Yes, about 20 people have complained here but I am sure thousands have bought this laptop. I think its a manufacturing defect but only in some specific line. (which I know should be fixed but I dont know if it has been)
2) You can always go for another laptop or buy this one and follow the screw loosening (ONLY if your screen and hinge creeks when opening).
I have had great experience with 3 of lenovo's laptops (Y560, Y510P, Y3Pro) and thats why I am here to spread that positive information and help around the community. Whatever you choose, good luck and happy gaming.
06-14-2015 06:42 AM
My Hinge broke just the other day
No the firm that is servicing the laptop is claiming that the warranty does not cover the cost of repairs
they said that because they found glue that was used by me to just hold the plastic part in place causes the extended warranty to be void any advice or assistance on this matter would kindly be appreciated
07-17-2015 10:20 PM
My Laptop has just started falling apart about a month after my warranty ended (of course) here is my list of problems that have been happening since my warrenty ended.
1. The part that the screw actually screws into the part that holds the hinge to the laptop has broken off so my screen is being held on by 1 screw very scary as it could fall of any minute.
2. The plastic piece that covers the hinge will pop off everytime I open my laptop and makes a horrible cracking sound when I have to keep opening my laptop to snap back the plastic piece so that I can use my laptop. I am now using scotch tape to fix this for now very embarrasing when gaming with my friends.
3. I have been slowly losing screws on the bottom of my laptop to hold the whole thing togeather I am now down to 8 out of the 12 that are supposed to be there. A screw just recently fell off and it happend to be the last screw that was holding my screen to the laptop so I had to swap some screws around so that my screen was being held on by something.
I was looking for a quality gaming laptop I could take to college and I will be heading off to college in a month! I would not sugguest this laptop and will probably never purchase a lenovo product again as this seems to be a somewhat common problem.
08-15-2015 08:46 PM
I just ordered a New one (manufactured in June 2015) off of eBay. The first thing im going to do is loosten the hinge screw slightly like is suggested. My second thought to prevent seperation was to add a strip of gorilla tape around the hinge to keep it attached and secure regardless of the defect. The question is will that put torque on the screen and risk cracking it?