cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xumarice
Paper Tape
Views: 7,060
Message 1 of 20

Lenovo Y50 still have the hinge breaking problem?

Do anyone know if the Lenovo Y50 is still having the screen display hinge breaking or exploding from the base problem?

Xumarice
Paper Tape
Views: 7,018
Message 2 of 20

Re: Lenovo Y50 still have the hinge breaking problem?

Would someone answer this question, please? I'm looking to get this laptop and want to know is this issue is fixed.
Guru
Views: 7,008
Message 3 of 20

Well seems like people are still having issues with it. I dont think its a huge problem but it is a problem with the number of complaints seen here.

Reading through the forum posts I found 2 things -

1) If your Y50 gets damaged at the hinge it will be covered by warranty.

2) The left hinge nut is a bit tight which is making this issue, you could loosen it as soon as you receive your laptop (if you decide to buy)

Check this (Pg 9, second last post by WTB_Fix) -

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y50-70-Touch-only-customer-review-broken-hinge-...

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Highlighted
Xumarice
Paper Tape
Views: 6,996
Message 4 of 20

Not sure if that's an solution, but I'll try it. It's been months and Lenovo still didn't revised the model? Lenovo adds a IPS screen and the GTX 960m, but no change to the hinges? What's wrong with hinges designed like the Lenovo G50-80 (or other brands, like Asus GL551 hinges)? Would Amy_Lenovo also comment on this.
Guru
Views: 6,974
Message 5 of 20

There are a couple of things to consider here -

1) Yes, about 20 people have complained here but I am sure thousands have bought this laptop. I think its a manufacturing defect but only in some specific line. (which I know should be fixed but I dont know if it has been)

2) You can always go for another laptop or buy this one and follow the screw loosening (ONLY if your screen and hinge creeks when opening).

I have had great experience with 3 of lenovo's laptops (Y560, Y510P, Y3Pro) and thats why I am here to spread that positive information and help around the community. Whatever you choose, good luck and happy gaming.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
alexandernel14
What's DOS?
Views: 6,832
Message 6 of 20

My Hinge broke just the other day 

No the firm that is servicing the laptop is claiming that the warranty does not cover the cost of repairs

they said that because they found glue that was used by me to just hold the plastic part in place causes the extended warranty to be void any advice or assistance on this matter would kindly be appreciated

money2Strong
What's DOS?
Views: 6,613
Message 7 of 20

My Laptop has just started falling apart about a month after my warranty ended (of course) here is my list of problems that have been happening since my warrenty ended.

1. The part that the screw actually screws into the part that holds the hinge to the laptop has broken off so my screen is being held on by 1 screw very scary as it could fall of any minute.

2. The plastic piece that covers the hinge will pop off everytime I open my laptop and makes a horrible cracking sound when I have to keep opening my laptop to snap back the plastic piece so that I can use my laptop. I am now using scotch tape to fix this for now very embarrasing when gaming with my friends.

3. I have been slowly losing screws on the bottom of my laptop to hold the whole thing togeather I am now down to 8 out of the 12 that are supposed to be there. A screw just recently fell off and it happend to be the last screw that was holding my screen to the laptop so I had to swap some screws around so that my screen was being held on by something.

I was looking for a quality gaming laptop I could take to college and I will be heading off to college in a month!  I would not sugguest this laptop and will probably never purchase a lenovo product again as this seems to be a somewhat common problem.

codey666
What's DOS?
Views: 6,345
Message 8 of 20

Hi, money2Strong can you please mention whether the y50 you are using i s the older version? Or the new 5944**** series model?

Eclipze926
SCSI Port
Views: 5,964
Message 9 of 20

Hey guys,

I just ordered a New one (manufactured in June 2015) off of eBay. The first thing im going to do is loosten the hinge screw slightly like is suggested. My second thought to prevent seperation was to add a strip of gorilla tape around the hinge to keep it attached and secure regardless of the defect. The question is will that put torque on the screen and risk cracking it?

money2Strong
What's DOS?
Views: 5,954
Message 10 of 20

i got it in 2014

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors