cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElementalX
Paper Tape
Views: 1,156
Message 11 of 20

Re: Lenovo Y50 still have the hinge breaking problem?

Yes, it is still a problem. My Y50-70 was delivered June 2015 and there is some hinge stiffness and occasionally the plastic surrounding the hinges will pop out of place. It hasn't broken off...yet.

Given that this appears to be a design flaw of this laptop I'd stay away from this model. Loosening the screw has been suggested but it is not a simple matter and you risk breaking off other plastic parts if you're not careful.

Eclipze926
SCSI Port
Views: 1,154
Message 12 of 20

I was thinking Needle nose pliers might do the trick and prevent having to mess with too many plastic parts and fitting an torque wrench attachment in there. Do you think its worth it to take it to a professional to have him do it for a couple bucks to make sure its done right?

BlaiseBlanton
Punch Card
Views: 1,059
Message 13 of 20

Yes the Lenovo Y series still has the hinge breaking problem. I thought that this defect only occured on the Y50 touch model's made during 2013, but from reading online I find this to be untrue. This is a major design flaw that Lenovo still hasn't made a public statement to claim responsibility or to atleast warn the consumer market. Of course why would they bother to do this, since they are still selling this model, and they don't want to loose money over this. My 4 month old Y50-70 Touch is currently in the service center for repairs, and hopefully I will recieve it back sometime this year. From what I have gained online, even when I recieve this computer back it will still have the same issue. 

I did about a months worth of research on laptops in the price range of 1000-1200, and finally decided on the lenovo Y50 touch. I thought at the time that this would be an excellent computer to assist me in finishing off my bach degree and start on my masters with. Since Lenovo had not made this design flaw known to the consumer market, I wasted my money on a deficent computer, which in turn will create a setback in my pursuit of education. Lenovo used to be a company that could be trusted to make solid and long lasting computers. I now know that this is no longer the case. 

Xumarice
Paper Tape
Views: 1,041
Message 14 of 20

Seeing I have made the right choice to not get the Y50 then, currently happy with my Sager NP8651 laptop. I wanted the Sager NP7155, but it was on ETA. Sorry to hear this is still happening.

msenthilkumar
Punch Card
Views: 816
Message 15 of 20

Yes. I have same problem. Pathetic design. Infact a very good laptop was completely wasted because of hinge issue.
msenthilkumar
Punch Card
Views: 816
Message 16 of 20

Go to a professional and get serviced for every 6 months. This laptop worthless. I am regretting why, I bought this laptop.

msenthilkumar
Punch Card
Views: 815
Message 17 of 20

First, its not limited to touch . It occurs on non touch as well. Lenovo should fire people who designed this laptop. Instead problem persist still today and lenovo not even bother about it. Lenovo still producing laptops with same hinge issues. No more lenovo for me. Period

antphany
What's DOS?
Views: 793
Message 18 of 20

hello i have a cracked hinge at the bottom of my lenovo y50 and its is out of warranty, what can i do

Moderator comment: Merged in. Subject edited.

NSFW
Fanfold Paper
Views: 575
Message 19 of 20

Not sure if mine is 2013 or 2014 but the left hinge is no longer glued to the back of the lid, so now when I open the lid it puts a lot of stress on the LCD panel. You can see it bulge, I'm really surprised I didn't crack the screen when it first happened.

See also:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/32oydf/lenovo_y5070_touch_hinge_cover_is_breaking_off/

Worst laptop ever. I've had a few thinkpads, all refurbished, all worked great. This was my first Lenovo and it's had one problem after another. Crappy colors, keyboard repeat rate would get reset to super-slow all the time, touchpad right-click is totally unreliable... and finally this. 

I got a new 15" Toshiba to replace it. It's actually weird to right-click something and actually have it work on the first try.

Going to try re-gluing it as the guy in the Reddit thread described, so I can still hopefully use the Y50 as a backup. Wish me luck.

RyanWijaya
Fanfold Paper
Views: 500
Message 20 of 20

Hi Xumarice,

Glad you made decision not to buy..

This is still happening to me and I am from Indonesia, so this must happened globally until this year (2016)
I would not recommend anyone buy this model, Y50 is a high end laptop and it is expensive, there should not be many product defects; and having experience myself how a big brand like Lenovo served customers after sale, I would not recommend any of the products.

Aside from the broken hinge problem, Y50 has major defect like the touchpad, it is very difficult to do right click and after going to service center it won't fix the problem so I have to use mouse instead

I really hope someone responsible in Lenovo pay attention to this issue and take serious action.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors