Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zany
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,412
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Y50 thermal shutdown even if i use cooling pad

It has been just a week after getting my new laptop it has stated to thermal shutdown the base becomes too hot to touch i logged the cpu temperatures it reaches 100c but gpu is cool below 60c . this shut down happens when i play games even very light games i face this problem . i had done a clean install of windows 8.1 and i updated all my drivers and bios from the lenovo site. Please help its frustrating its a new laptop.  

Moderator comment: Please refrain from bumping your thread(s) / post(s) more frequently than 3 days. Doing so, unfairly, pushes other members' threads downwards. Bumping post(s) removed.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,357
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y50 thermal shutdown even if i use cooling pad

Hi Zany,

Welcome to Lenovo forums.

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with system overheating in your Lenovo Y50 laptop.

Try to enable the turbo boost in energy manager and check for the issue.

Try to clean the ventilators if possible.

Hope this helps. Do post back if issue persists!

Best regards,

Ashwin.S              

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

zany
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,339
Message 3 of 6

i cannot find turbo boost option in the energy manager it overheats on all power plans. this laptop is new nothing is blocking the vents . the laptop overheats only when I play games I feel the fan doesn't work at its full speed.

since the issue was persisting I performed a clean install again but the problem has not gone
Pumkinfacer22
Token Ring
Views: 3,316
Message 4 of 6

im just throwing this out there.. but sounds like you got a model with problems with the thermal paste..

download intel XTU and check out whats going on there.

DO NOT touch anything.. do not mess with settings.. this is just to see your realtime temps etc..

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-ext...

latestXTUPic.JPG

then go to control panel and power settings.. advanced.. profile look for what you have on and go to balanced and change Max processor state to 80% or even less.. to test the heat..

windows powerforumshow.JPG

zany
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,301
Message 5 of 6

as you said I did not mess with the application

balanced power state - 60c @ 100% , 80% , 50% , 20%
high performance - 70c @ 100% , 80% , 50% , 20%

I waited 2 min before noting down the temp no applications were open , if I moved the mouse the temp increased by 5-7c
zany
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 3,285
Message 6 of 6

hey I noticed a new thing when I play games the cpu reaches 98 99c and thermal throttling is 100% . Now im really disappointed with Lenovo :-( I wonder if they will replace my laptop I don't want to buy and replace the thermal compound myself. Probably its a faulty cpu also :-( :-(. My first gaming rig and it turned out to be a dud

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors