Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewwijaya
Paper Tape
Views: 17,926
Message 1 of 16

Lenovo Y50 - y70 Sound Muffled

I recently purchased a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop and I realize every so often the sound dissapears to a very small muffled noise. I bumped into the solution randomly, which is closing and re-opening the laptop (putting it on standby and on again essentially). Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 17,833
Message 2 of 16

Re: Lenovo Y50 - y70 Sound Muffled

Hi Andrewwijiya,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with sound muffled in your Y50-70 laptop.

Please confirm whether the sound is from the HDD, or from the fan or it can also be from any cables which are shorted inside, as this might be a hardware issue I would like to suggest you to visit the nearest service center for further details.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I’m sure they will be a great help.

Hope this helps. Do post back if issue persists!

Best regards,   

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

balintmaci
What's DOS?
Views: 17,818
Message 3 of 16

Hi! I'm experiencing the exact same issue, it's very likely a software one, let me just clarify what he's actually talking about. Occasionally when the y50 wakes up from sleep, the sound sounds lowpassed. I cannot be absolutely certain, but my guess is that the sound is only coming through the subwoofer, so the 2 front speakers are not operating during this anomaly. Simply pressing fn+f1 (sleep) and then waking it up again will solve the issue.

On a similar note, the same thing is happening to me with wifi. Ever so often when the laptop is woken up from sleep the wifi won't work, then sleep, wake again and it's working. However that usually happens when I move the laptop while it's asleep to a different location and probably the different wifi AP-s mess with it. They shouldn't however.

I almost forgot, there's one more, pretty much always when the headphone is plugged in, the laptop goes to sleep, then wakes up, the headphone will sound very wierd, like if it wasn't properly plugged in. I suspect this might be an audio driver issue. Maybe it's the same issue as the first one. Unplugging and replugging it solves the issue, but still it should be fixed. 

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 17,777
Message 4 of 16

Hi Balintmaci,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with multiple issue with your Y50-70 laptop.

As you have also mentioned there is a issue with touchpad, please try to reinstall the operating system and check for the issue.

If still the issue persists update the BIOS and check for the issue.

Hope this helps. Do post back if issue persists!

Best regards,   

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

jepperaskdk
What's DOS?
Views: 17,564
Message 5 of 16

I have the same problem. The issue concerns the speakers.

It appears, sound only come from the Internal Subwoofer (and is of course muffled) and no sound from the Front speakers.

ernestriderxx
Paper Tape
Views: 17,416
Message 6 of 16

Ok, first off same issue as the above. Muffled sounds after returning from sleep mode. Only sound comes from the subwoofer. I deleted the drivers and reinstalled the drivers given on the Lenovo driver page for the y50. Restarted, but the same issue remains. 10% of the time it is normal, 90% of the time it goes back to muffled. Only resolution I had was to restart the computer everytime it does that, which, in fact, renders this issue another pile of sh*t on the list for the y50. I mean come on, for a $999+, complaints of broken hinges, screen flickers, trackpad issues, and even software issues like superfish. Lenovo really needs to step up its game. I've been really scared of opening my y50 every time that it might break the PLASTIC covering, and end up having to pay some "cosmetic" damages not covered by warranty. Such a great piece of machinery, poor build design, specifically, and only, on the hinges. WHY WHY must it have been plastic on such a vital part of the machine. It's like building a 20 story building and forgetting to put an elevator (ref. Spain). Yeah, sorry, it became a complaint, but still the issue remains! To be muffled or to be not muffled! Hopefull, Lenovo shows some support for these or social media will make its move. relevant to this issue, Lenovo should post up instructions on how to fortify the hinge covers, like using a specific glue that we can do to prevent breakage to occur....

techguy1
What's DOS?
Views: 16,758
Message 7 of 16

My Y50 had the left speaker clicking sound and muffled sound from day one (last month) March 2015

After much time and pain I worked out the problem was the cooling fins next to the cooling fans were flexing and I presume touching the left speaker wire which runs along under neath the cooling fins. I could get the clicking sound to happen every time if I applied a small amount of pressure on the cooling tubes that sit on top of the cooling fins.

I then placed a small piece of cardboard on the left side under the cooling fins to raise them only about 2 mm and this has fixed the problem. no more damm clicking sound and muffled sound

Hey Lenovo fix you Y50 laptop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

chris1576
What's DOS?
Views: 16,590
Message 8 of 16

Y-70 5 months old MUFFLED SOUND
I've got this problem too. not helped with the sleep/wake up advice.
What do I need to do to fix it.. ???? Can't put up with it much longer!
ernestriderxx
Paper Tape
Views: 16,588
Message 9 of 16

Download the new drivers that recently came out. Its on the lenovo y50-70
page. This fixed my sound issues. If nothing, perhaps the new Windows 10
update will fix it. It seems to be different for some models of the y50. I
have the custom IPS touchscreen 16gb 1tb 4gbGPU model

techguy11
What's DOS?
Views: 16,584
Message 10 of 16

My Y50 had the left speaker clicking sound and muffled sound from day one (last month) March 2015

After much time and pain I worked out the problem was the cooling fins next to the cooling fans were flexing and I presume touching the left speaker wire which runs along under neath the cooling fins. I could get the clicking sound to happen every time if I applied a small amount of pressure on the cooling tubes that sit on top of the cooling fins.

I then placed a small piece of cardboard on the left side under the cooling fins to raise them only about 2 mm and this has fixed the problem. no more damm clicking sound and muffled sound

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors