Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

07-20-2014

Cyprus

2 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Y500 Black Screen

2014-07-20, 17:42 PM

Hello there Lenovo Community,

I am posting this message in order to request urgent help with the following issue:

Background: 

I am the owner of a Lenovo Y500 for about 16 months now. Over the course of these past months I had come across an issue by which Windows 8 would never be able to reboot properly ever. For example, an update for Windows or any other software would be installed and upon asked to reboot the system, the laptop would shut down as normal, but then upon restarting it would give a black screen. 

This would have every time even if I simply wanted to reboot the system for any other reason. Upon restart, the laptop would display no image on its monitor. The only way I had managed to resolve this was by repeatedly hybernating/making the laptop sleep and restarting it (closing and reopening the monitor screen) for a X number of times until the display would reappear. From then onwards I stopped all windows updates and never restarted the computer. I always shut it down and then boot it back up again. 

Last Friday however, upon the updating of Javascript, I was asked to restart the computer. I declined to restart the computer based on my past experience, and began to save up my work and close all the windows in preparation for a shut down. While doing this the laptop suddenly froze and the display went black.

Ever since then the computer display will not work in spite of sleeping and restarting it countless times. Thinking it was a hardware problem, I connected the laptop to an external monitor, and to my surprise the monitor would work properly and the laptop seemed to work fine. I am typing this message while my laptop is connected to this monitor.

I have tried pressing F2 on booting the laptop and it does go to BIOS where I pressed F9 and F10. Mind you this took place through the external monitor. I have also updated the Nvidia drivers.

Nothing seems to work. My display without an external monitor remains black/grey.

Any advise on the matter?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Options

3 Posts

07-20-2014

Cyprus

2 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo Y500 Black Screen

2014-07-23, 17:50 PM
In order to provide an update on the matter,

I had managed to send the laptop to my local Lenovo maintenance service which informed me a day later that the laptop required not only a new screen cable, but also a new motherboard.

To be honest I sort of expected to hear about the screen cable because after an extensive web search it turns out that this is a common issue with lenovo Y500's.

However, needing a completely new motherboard was a nasty surprise. Since the laptop is out of its warranty it would cost about 600USD as per the maintenance service, which then prompted to advise me to simply buy a new laptop.

While I do not fully believe that I need a new motherboard and I will try to find a screen cable because it is relatively cheap, I am most likely going to buy a new laptop, and I am sorry to say Lenovo that it won't be one of your laptops.

A complete breakdown of the laptop 15 months after I purchased it is simply too disappointing. Your laptops appear to be plagued with various issues.

I'd rather fork a few extra hundred bucks rather than have a laptop break down so soon after my purchase.

Thank you for your time.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms