Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gowtham02
Paper Tape
Views: 1,238
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Y500 - Msata drive 16 GB, and Blu ray writer extension

Hi there.

I hope someone from Lenovo will respond to  my below question.

I currently own a Idea pad y 500 with 1TB 5400 rpm drive with no msata.

I bought it during Christmas time.

I would like to add the msata drive preferably 16 gb or similar.

also would like to get a bluray writer attachment(if its released) by Lenovo.

Please let me know where can I buy that. If its available in Lenovo website.

otherwise suggest the compatible product for msata so that I can order online from other websites.

Btw how much would that cost???

help would be appreciated.

Gowtham.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,201
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Y500 - Msata drive 16 GB, and Blu ray writer extension

hi Gowtham,

The Lenovo Y500 uses the following SSD's:

SSD specs.PNG

Apparently, these 16GB's ones aren't available on the consumer market but you try these ones:

Sandisk Mini SSD

Crucial m4 32GB

If you have Windows 7, you can use Intel Rapid Drive Technology to use the mSATA SSD for caching data. If you'll be planning to install the OS on the mSATA SSD, I recommend you get at least 64Gb to make room for your programs.

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Psyrecx
802.11n
Views: 1,189
Message 3 of 4

According to my Y500 the MSATA is only an SATA II and not an SATA III bay.  So if you get a high speed MSATA 6gbit/s drive, it's not going to run at full speed, mine maxes out the SATA II capabilities.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lenovo Ideapad Y500 | Intel® Core™ I7-3630M @2.4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | Nvidia® Geforce™ GT 750M | 120GB Mushkin Atlas Deluxe mSATA SSD | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8 5400RPM HDD | 1080p Lenovo Display | Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
mscottie
Token Ring
Views: 1,150
Message 4 of 4

I found the mSATA they installed to be capable of only SATA II but the port is capable of SATA III (6Gb/s). Are you seeing somewhere different? Mine appears to be running 6Gb/s with no problem.

From what I can tell Intel's Rapid Drive Technology will not work on the Y500 for the caching using the mSATA because there is no RAID option in the bios. Mine came in using ExpressCache software for the caching only. Don't need it now that I moved to an mSATA SSD with Windows 8 loaded on it. Kept the slow 1TB drive in as a data drive.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors