Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KathanM
Paper Tape
Views: 15,455
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y500 Wi-Fi Problem

Hi,

I have been having some trouble with my Lenovo Y500 computer. I bought this laptop a month ago, and I was able to connect to my WEP secured internet fine without any issues. 

However, as of yesterday I have run into a problem. I am getting either a limited internet connection or unable to connect where in both cases I cannot use the internet. I have not changed any settings in my internet connection, except forwarding a few ports for gaming usage. 

I know it is not my internet, because all other devices connected to my internet are working fine, it's just this laptop. I have tried these solutions (all have failed, or not solved my problem permenantely):

- Rebooting my laptop (failed)

- Troubleshooting (said something about a not being able to access the default gateway) - failed: 

- connecting to ethernet: worked, i could browse internet

- changed my security type to WPA2, and then back to WEP : this allowed me t use the wifi, but upon reboot it became limited once again

- removing security from my laptop: as of right now, I don't have a secure internet connection. No neighbors are in range, so it's not a high security risk, but I want to be able to connect to WEP connections as well, and don't see a reason as to why I can't. 

- uninstalling Hamachi and unneccessary programs: still failed

I have been browsing the forums for hours, and others are also having similar probelms to me, and I've seen somewhere that the issue is related to WPS, but I am unsure of how to dsable this with my router. I have Verizon FIOS with an Actiontec router. 

Note: I have not been able to reset my router yet, but will attempt it. However, this solution didn't work for anyone who had similar problems on the other forums, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,395
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y500 Wi-Fi Problem

Have you tried connecting to public wifi places like McDonald's? This is just to eliminate the router problem possibility, but still try to reset your router and see if it connects.

If it's not the router then try unistalling the current wifi and bluetooth drivers and install the latest one from intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22741&lang=eng

For bluetooth software: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22859&lang=eng

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Highlighted
MarianoRO
Punch Card
Views: 15,362
Message 3 of 5

I solved this issue just installing the new driver and disable bt.

Hope this help.

KathanM
Paper Tape
Views: 15,355
Message 4 of 5

Ok, quick update. I tried both of your solutions and I'm not sure which one did it. I uninstalled and updated both drivers and then I turned off bluetooth. Whichever one it was, it worked, so thanks! 

Just a quick followup question. If I continue to leave my wifi unsecured, would that be safe? Again, I don't live in range of anyone else and the town I'm in is very safe. It's just a lot less hassle when having guests over. But would it make it easier for online hackers to hack into my wifi? 

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,351
Message 5 of 5

Don't ever leave your router unsecured. Any neighbors or bystanders can get free wifi internet from you. In addition, if that person is doing illegal things like finding a way to make a bomb, the FBI will come knocking on your door and arrest you. Even if your neighbors are far away, just put a simple password and you'll feel at ease. IMO, internet and privacy security are important and should always be enforced.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors