Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
masterk
Paper Tape
Views: 691
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y500 WiFi Adapter Issue

Apologies if this has been addressed before but my problem is pretty specific and I couldn't find any threads about it. 

For a quick backgound, my OS is Windows 10 (was Windows 8 prior) and my network adapter is an Intel Centrino N-2230. 

I have a Lenovo Y500 laptop and my internet has been having issues. For background, it was working fine until sometime early this year. I got an ethernet cable and mainly relied on that. Whenever I would unplug my ethernet cord, most of the time my internet wouldn't work - the open networks availble shown would just be empty even though all my other devices connected to the internet just fine. I ignored this and continued because I mainly only used it with ethernet anyways, and if I really needed to I could disable and reenable my network adapter to get the internet working (for like 30 seconds before it would often die again). 

I'm back home from college now however, and I need a consistent internet. The problem I face now is that when my laptop isn't plugged in, I can't seem to use internet at all (I can do the disable and re-enable technique but it works for like 5 seconds before it stops working again). When my laptop is plugged in, it stays connected to the internet consistently, but the quality of the connection is really inconsistent. For games that I play, every 10 minutes I usually have around 3-4 instances where the ping goes from 20 to like 1000 for 10-15 seconds, sometimes even completely disconecting me from the game. For a separate voice chat application I use (Mumle), there are often stretches of a few minutes where people's voices are completely garbled or I just can't hear anyone at all for a few seconds before everything comes through. It's super frustrating since no one else in the house has any of these issues and has functioning internet. 

Solutions I've tried: 

- going to device manager and disabling the option for Windows to turn off the network adapter during power saving mode

- updating the network adapter driver

- rebooting the computer 

Any suggestions / help would be appreciated. 

Guru
Views: 676
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y500 WiFi Adapter Issue

Try first downloading this into a flash drive: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/IdeaPad-Y-Series-laptops/IdeaPad-Y500-...

Then, uninstall your old WLAN drivers. You won't be able to access internet after drivers are uninstalled, so use the file from the flash drive and install it onto your PC. A fresh driver install should do the trick. Hope it helps

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

masterk
Paper Tape
Views: 621
Message 3 of 5

Just tried this. I saved the driver you linked locally, went to device manager, uninstalled the driver that I had currently (but didn't delete when it prompted me to) and then installed the new driver. It didn't immediatly work though but when I went to device manager again, I scanned the network adapters tab for hardware changes which brought it up. Still hasn't resolved my issue however, so I'm wondering if I did something wrong. 

Guru
Views: 618
Message 4 of 5

Ok, right click on the Network icon and run Windows troubleshooting. Let me know what it says.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

masterk
Paper Tape
Views: 600
Message 5 of 5

What network icon? If you mean the one in the taskbar, it says that there isn't any issue. When the laptop is unplugged and it doesn't work, it usually "fixes" it by resetting the network adapter. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors