Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-01-2015

Minnesota, USA

7 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y500 Won't Boot

2015-10-01, 19:14 PM

Hello,

I have had my ideapad y500 for a few years now. One day my computer froze completely under normal operation. I had to hold the power button to do a manual shutdown. After that, my computer would not turn back on. When I try to boot it, I see a black screen, not even the Lenovo Logo. After about thirty seconds there is a single beeb from the computer. About thirty seconds later, the fan spins up as if under load, then a little while later the fan will quiet down and the computer will beep again. At this point, I can adjust the brightness of the keyboard backlight, turn the backlight for the screen on and off, and the caps lock and num lock LEDs on the front work, but I cannot do anything else.

I have tried plugging in an external monitor to see if it is just a screen issue, but it does not output any signal to the monitor. Also important, the same thing happens when I try to boot into the BIOS using the Novo button, or F2. 

I have discovered that by leaving the computer unplugged with the battery out for a long time, I can sometimes get it to get to the lenovo logo and start booting windows. However, it gets as far as the windows 10 logo, then goes black and eventually beeps, as above. It will not fully boot into the operating system. The time it takes between working is anywhere from 5 minutes unplugged to a couple of hours. 

I tried reflashing the stock bios (using a DOS bootable USB drive) and was eventually successful in reflashing the bios, but the problem still persists. On the rare occasion when the computer boots up, I can get to the bios, but as soon as I restart, it goes back to the black screen.

I have also tried holding down the power button for up to a minute while the computer is unplugged without a battery. This seems to have no effect on the amount of time it takes between succesfull boot attempts.

So, can anyone help me? Based on what I've seen, the problem looks to be deeper than the bios (as evidenced by no change after the bios flash). Is there anything I can do to fix it, or am I out of a laptop?

Answer
Options

4 Posts

10-01-2015

Minnesota, USA

7 Signins

28 Page Views

Re: Lenovo Y500 Won't Boot

2015-10-20, 3:05 AM

I eventually diagnosed it to be the video card. After I reinstalled windows, the computer will boot normally and work, but the video card is shot. No external video, blue lines across the screen. I ordered a replacement motherboard, which is pretty much the only way to fix it if you're having the same problem I am. Not sure what started the error though. Might have just gotten old.

Replies(4)
Options

4 Posts

10-03-2015

Strongsville OH

2 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 2 of 5

2015-10-03, 4:22 AM

Seems like a hard drive issue to me. If you are willing to, you could replace the hard drive temporaraly and see if it boots. A PC repair shop could replace the hard drive too. If it is the hard drive you have pretty much no choice but to replace it. :(

-Matthew

Options

4 Posts

10-01-2015

Minnesota, USA

7 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2015-10-04, 17:56 PM

I'm actually using a dual hard drive setup with a solid state drive. Both drives have operating systems on them, but even if I remove both hard drives and try to boot off of a USB, I still encounter the problem. I can't even get into a bootloader or the bios. I'm starting to think its a hardware problem somewhere on the motherboard.

Options

1 Posts

10-20-2015

Chicago

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 4 of 5

2015-10-20, 2:59 AM

This problem started for me last night. Did you ever diagnose further? I've tried a few suggestions on the internet but nothing is working

Answer
Options

4 Posts

10-01-2015

Minnesota, USA

7 Signins

28 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2015-10-20, 3:05 AM

I eventually diagnosed it to be the video card. After I reinstalled windows, the computer will boot normally and work, but the video card is shot. No external video, blue lines across the screen. I ordered a replacement motherboard, which is pretty much the only way to fix it if you're having the same problem I am. Not sure what started the error though. Might have just gotten old.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms