Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WontonNoodle
Paper Tape
Views: 11,706
Message 1 of 22

Lenovo Y500 and Optimus

Hi, I know that if you're running in SLI mode, Optimus doesn't work and the system doesn't use the Intel HD 4000.

But if you're running in single card mode, does the system switch to the HD 4000 when you're not playing games like with the Y580 using Optimus? This is a make or break thing for my purchase.

Thanks

n1smo
Token Ring
Views: 11,626
Message 2 of 22

Re: Lenovo Y500 and Optimus

No Optimus, HD 4000 disabled even with non-sli model.  

Highlighted
WontonNoodle
Paper Tape
Views: 11,582
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for the reply. Is the Optimus/Intel HD 4000 hardware present though? Or is it just physically not there like the Asus G series?

Do you think you can enable it with software/driver updates?
eaglespeed
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,450
Message 4 of 22

while I was searching the internet for the same thing I came across this thread.

obviously I cannot find a setting where I can enable or disable optimus, or perminently switch to to intergated or discreet, which is kind of disappointing since, it would save me alot of battery life if I could use intel HD4000 for writing and browsing on the go, I will contact lenovo about htis and see what they have to say, if what it takes to make the switfhable graphics work is to downgrade then be it, but I don`t want to lose the recovery feature and dolby sound software.

eaglespeed
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,447
Message 5 of 22

according to this on lenovo webpage, no dynamic graphics and no switchable graphics for y400 and y500 both are grayed out and not available here http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/y-series/?menu-id=learn&ref-id=learn

judyinnyc
Serial Port
Views: 11,412
Message 6 of 22

Hi, 

This is something a lot of us have been waiting for! The Y500 comes with an i7 series chip (mine is the 3632QM, see specs here: http://ark.intel.com/products/71670/Intel-Core-i7-3632QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-BGA.  that has hd4000 integrated and the NVIDIA GeForce 650M, that is supposed to have Optimus. The problem is, my laptop (which I got a couple of weeks) does not recognize the HD4000, even when the driver is installed. I don't see anything in the BIOS where I can enable the integrated graphics, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of a BIOS update. Anyway, I did speak to someone in hardware support who said he was able to install WiDi on another Y500 laptop, and you do need HD4000 to do that, AND he said that both the HD4000 and the NVIDIA card were detected. If you want, keep an eye here on the board because I will definitely keep updating as I get to the bottom of this...

judyinnyc
Serial Port
Views: 11,408
Message 7 of 22

Eaglespeed,

I thought that Optimus replaced switchable graphics at that's why it's greyed out...I will be pissed if it's not available on his model, because HD4000 is needed for WiDi and tthat would mean WiDi is not available even though it is listed as standard on this  model! According to the notes, Dynamic graphics has something to do with optimizing the chip set. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.

eaglespeed
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,347
Message 8 of 22

when I contacted lenovo support they informed me that the USA version of y500 doesnt have optimus but I should keep an eye for updates what ever that means, as far am concerned my y500 doesn`t seem to support optimus and HD4000 chip is not visible under devices, I will try to get in the bios side to see if there is hope.

I am having the same disappointing feelings like when I got asus g53, manifactures don`t put in mind that even gamers will need the power efficiency and the extended battery life of a normal laptop in a semi-gaming laptop, it seems like all they think about when designing a gaming laptop is JUST GAMING, like we`re not going to use the computer for anything else, taking away one of the biggest benefits of PC gaming, which is all in one powerful machine.
judyinnyc
Serial Port
Views: 11,298
Message 9 of 22

Well said, Eaglespeed. If I could just get an answer, I would feel better about this......

deelybop
SCSI Port
Views: 11,109
Message 10 of 22

if Apple can manufacture a MacBook with Retina display and tout "Graphics are handled by a hybrid graphics system. To take full advantage of the Retina display, this MacBook Pro uses nVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics with 1GB of dedicated memory, which is 60% faster than previous Apple MacBook Pro models. The GeForce GT 650M also has nVIDIA Optimus technology, which switches over to the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 when high-performance visuals are not needed in order to save battery life."

....then surely Lenovo can come up with a way to make use of the Optimus technology on the Nvidia card? I wouldnt mind having the extra boost to conserve battery power and would love to be able to use WiDi down the road. the BIOS on this system leaves a lot to be desired.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors