Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deelybop
SCSI Port
Views: 4,764
Message 11 of 22

Re: Lenovo Y500 and Optimus

i feel like eaglespeed. i'm not an avid gamer, but i like having a good, powerhouse system that takes advantage of the quality components inside. i don't plan on using that ultrabay yet, but dropping an mSata drive in there at some point looks tempting. it seems a shame to have all this technology then end up disabling it just to favor gaming.

eaglespeed
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,580
Message 12 of 22

I have read earlier a post that drew my attention and the guy who wrote it pointed out that prehaps cuz lenovo y500 is SLI capable, there won`t be any bandwidth left for the intergated intel graphics, it would kinda make sense especially the USA models cuz you can simply purchase the 2nd graphic card from lenovo website while I don`t think you can buy it somewhere else, say UK as I checked on their website, so its qute possible that models which have intel hd4000 enabled are not SLI capable, anyway I have came a cross a thread that has a modded unlocked bios that it might have the option to enable optimus, here it is http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2690-lenovo-y500-unlocked-bios.html  I will give it a try and see if it work

ram_12
Punch Card
Views: 4,517
Message 13 of 22

Unlocked BIOS???. Thats bringing new hope to use Optimus.

Thanks for the link.

I think this issue may be taken into consideration by lenovo after that huge touchpad issue.

eaglespeed
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,496
Message 14 of 22

ram_12 I think its a modded bios, and not released by lenovo, but it wouldn`t make any difference if it worked, am still trying to donwloading but my account havn`t been activated yet. I guess if anything happen to your system if you use this version of the bios, it won`t be fixed by the warrenty. just make sure you make a backup file of your current bios.

eaglespeed
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,494
Message 15 of 22

today I decided to install few games on it since I will be going away for a while, and I am really impressed by the performance, I played borderlands for a few minutes and to my surprise the framerates are very good compared to my previous asus g53, I get 45-50fps with all the settings on max. and this is only with a singe gtx 650, I was kinda looking for 30-35max but up to 50fps in borderlands is very promising, giving I paid less than 1000$ for this beast.

ram_12
Punch Card
Views: 4,460
Message 16 of 22

Thanks for ur advice eaglespeed.

When I messed up with my desktop DG31pr (Q6600) mobo. I simply removed and inserted the CMOS battery.

Will this trick work here too?

Just wanted to know.

Maxxender
Punch Card
Views: 4,412
Message 17 of 22

@eaglespeed, YES thanks for that link. I've been looking for this for over a week now, everything A-OK after you flashed it?

judyinnyc
Serial Port
Views: 4,342
Message 18 of 22

Mark from Lenovo said on another thread that the development team has confirmed Y500 is discrete graphics only, no Optimus and no WiDi. The advice is to go back to the seller and "see what your options are."
deelybop
SCSI Port
Views: 4,310
Message 19 of 22

just to help those who think they may not be able to return the y500 for WiDi lack thereof issues, touchpad, etc, i called support on Jan 9th, exactly 30 days from my receipt date. explained the touchpad issue and problems with keyboard, no WiDi....guy immediately offered me to return and get a refund. i tried to also exchange for a model y580 since it seems less problem laden and the price is comparable. he wouldn't do it, but within 10 mins he emailed me the UPS labels. this week, i reordered a y580 (floating the price of two computers which wasn't ideal). i'm keeping the y500 so i can at least remote into work until the y580 gets here. the UPS labels are good for 30 days and i have the ok to return it, so once i get the y580 up and running and test it out, i'm factory defaulting the y500 and sending it back. keep your box and just make the call. if you get someone who doesn't speak clearly, ask for an American rep.

EvanB
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,268
Message 20 of 22

@judyinnyc wrote:
Mark from Lenovo said on another thread that the development team has confirmed Y500 is discrete graphics only, no Optimus and no WiDi. The advice is to go back to the seller and "see what your options are."

This is what Mark said ""

I'll need to look into your specific model - not sure why it is not currently listed.  Generally speaking,  we do refresh the submodels published to the web (our taxonomy is model which is the first 4 digits like 9541 and then a 3 digit sub model which defines some of the specific features of that particular config).

Evan, and All,

We have been investigating widi support capability on Y400 / Y500 with our development teams and currently we are told that these will not support widi because they are discrete only graphic subsystem and not optimus enabled.   I appreciate the screen shots above from the PS ref sheet that list the HD4000 Intel video capability as standard part of the Intel CPU spec.  I suspect that when these spec sheets were published that standard specs of the CPU were listed and those do not reflect the overall capability at the system level.

We are updating information on the web to reflect that Y400 / Y500 do not support widi.

Updates have been made to the  Y series comparison page on the Lenovo.com site here.

I'll follow up to see what updates need to be made to other pages (including those listed above) to ensure a more consistent message on the capability of the systems.

We are continuing to explore this issue with development to see if a BIOS update could enable these features at some future point, but the present outlook is that it will not.  If this position changes, we will post a further update.  

For now, I think we have to proceed with the expectation that the Y400 / Y500 will not support widi.

Let's continue discussion on touchpad or other separate issues in their respective threads.   If the widi support issue is critical for you, then I would recommend you contact your place of purchase to evaluate your options.   

Best regards,

Mark

" -end quote

Seems like we were decived about optimus and widi! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors