Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

02-16-2014

Puerto Rico

14 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 1 of 8

Lenovo Y500 black screen (dark gray) problem.

2014-02-16, 5:01 AM

Hello guys! I have a Y500 with Nvidia GT650 SLI. Two days ago when I turn the laptop on the screen did not display anything. The backlight was on so it was not pitch black but kind of dark gray (and you can see some sort of lights motion).

When I connect an external monitor I can see the display. I selected the option to mirror the images on both screens just in case but only the external monitor shows the display. I though at first that it was a bad graphics card but I tested them using 3Dmark software and they performed ok. Then I though that the laptop monitor must be toasted and maybe thats it but the weird thing is that when I boot up the laptop using the external monitor attached I can see flickers of images on the laptop monitor.

For example I can see for a second the LENOVO logo when booting up, I can see the mouse cursor for a second; when I fired up a computer game I could see some images of the game for a few seconds on the laptop monitor. So as you can see the behavior is strange.

I removed the battery, removed the second graphics card, booted up with just one graphics card but it was no help. The last thing I tried was using the Windows 8 option to Remove everything and reinstall Windows. I did it but I still have the same issue. I really need some help here. Thanks.

Options

210 Posts

09-03-2013

Egypt

191 Signins

1822 Page Views

• Views: 1822
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo Y500 black screen (dark gray) problem.

2014-02-16, 13:02 PM

Dear Kylan

Welcome to Lenovo forums

I think this issue is a hardware issue related to the Screen cable connector
Can you please check is there a display on the BIOS?

Thanks

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

02-16-2014

Puerto Rico

14 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2014-02-16, 14:08 PM

Hello Semayman. Thanks for replying. I tried goint to the BIOS, pressing F2 after turning on the laptop but I cannot see any display on the laptop nor in the external monitor. I also tried using the Novo Key but cannot see anything either. I can see display on the external monitor after Windows starts loading.

Options

3 Posts

02-16-2014

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2014-02-16, 14:11 PM

I don't think this is a cable problem. I have the same problem at my Y510P with gt 755m SLI. This computer has almost never been used, and worked just fine, untill I updated some drivers. I have tried to uninstall and install, and also tried to install the Intel graphic driver, as told in this forum, but I am not allowed to install this driver (not matching the systemrequirements). If this would be bad connection in a cable, the display wouldn't be found, I guess. And also, the display would flicker if I move the display, wouldn't it? I'm no expert, but I'm kind of logical.

My display is found, but can't change the brightness. My external display works just fine, but unable to change the brightness, unless I let the Nvidia display driver overrun. This is not possible at the laptop screen. I don't know why.

So, I don't have a sollution to the problem.

Hope my information may help find a sollution to the problem. (I've seen that this is a big issue with p500 among others)

-Mikael

Options

5 Posts

02-16-2014

Puerto Rico

14 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2014-02-16, 21:45 PM
Thanks Mikael for sharing your problem. I hope we can get some light as to what is the cause of this problem and hopefully a solution.
Options

5 Posts

02-16-2014

Puerto Rico

14 Signins

56 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2014-02-17, 16:47 PM

Hello. Does anyone here knows how can I switch to the external monitor when I am on the BIOS screen? Is there some key combination to activate the external monitor so I can work on the BIOS?

Thanks.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 7 of 8

2014-02-25, 21:42 PM

Kylan,

If you and everyone else on the thread have dual graphic card configs, then I doubt this is a hardware issue (not a display cable, although that was a fair thought at the point in the discussion when only 1 person reported the problem).

Perhaps a Windows update has changed the drivers and is now causing a problem.   

Let's try again to see if we get display on LCD with and without the second video card installed but external display disconnected.  We can check a system in our lab and see what we experience.

Mark

Options

15 Posts

11-12-2015

united states

23 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 8 of 8

2015-11-12, 21:56 PM
I am also having this exact issue but in not running sli, i have found that when i uninstall the gt750m in device manager the display works fine which makes me also wonder because this immediately happens after i upgraded to windows 8.1 and more specifically upgraded the geforce drivers.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms