Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
endazyar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,890
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Y500 black screen

Hello everyone,

I'm having a serious problem with my lenovo y500 GT650. The graphic drivers seem to be don't work at all. I take out the 2nd GPU and disabled the first one in safe mode, that's how I'm able to see the screen. I'm running win 8.1 but I had the same problem with Win7 as well. And it's just been a few weeks that I'm facing such a problem, and have been using this laptop for 8 months so far. 

When the graphic card is enabled, the laptop boots, but login screen doesn't appear, laptop is being turned on, but it just shows black screen.

P.S. I could use SLI before, and I have tried with drivers, 320.49, 331.82, 332.21, 334.89(the latest nvidia driver)

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers

endazyar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,729
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo Y500 black screen

up!

biboslav
Punch Card
Views: 6,666
Message 3 of 11

Hi all,

I have the same problem - black screen after installing NVidia drivers. I'm using a single GT650M. The problem appears on Windows 7, windows 8 and windows 8.1 - all 64 bit. I have tried latest and some older drivers and the result is the same. 

Rarely the display works after sleep, and 1-2 times it worked until 3-4 reboots. 

The strange thing is that it was working fine for months, after replacing the touchpad. When the problems started a few monts ago simple uninstall and install of drivers helped. But not anymore. Now i'm stuck and can't find a solution.

Can anyone help please?

endazyar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,602
Message 4 of 11

up^^^still looking for a solution :/

dblginca
What's DOS?
Views: 6,574
Message 5 of 11

Did this ever get solved?  I am running Windows 8, was running 8.1 but then the monitor stopped and after much messing around I refreshed the machine and the monitor worked for a short amount of time, about an hour.

Now the laptop monitor is no longer recognized in the Device Manager, so there is no display after the POST screen,  If I plug in a second monitor I can use the machine, no second monitor then I cannot see what is going on.

If I uninstall the drivers so that it uses the Windows drivers then I can use the laptop screen, however it doesn't take long for the drivers to get installed by Windows which then brings me back to the no laptop monitor display.

I went to Navidia and downloaded the latest drivers but still no laptop screen.

I have no more ideas, Can anyone help?

Thanks

endazyar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,544
Message 6 of 11

After updating all the drivers with easy driver app, I managed to have one of the nvidias running. However, still sometimes the screen goes black, when it does, I put down the display, and up again, then it starts working again. 

If you would like to use it with onboard graphic card, attach a monitor to your laptop, and disable the nvidia graphic cards(both of them), restart the computer, then you will be able to use your laptop with onboard graphi card. As soon as you activate the Nvidia cards the screen will go black again!

Cheers.

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 6,537
Message 7 of 11

i have heard that those with 1 nvidia gpu requires to have Intel gpu drivers to be installed 1st then you do nvidia one or if you do nvidia one first the intel one will begin to mess up and give black display.
biboslav
Punch Card
Views: 6,519
Message 8 of 11

I don't know for the others but on my Y500 (no second videocard) the Intel gpu drivers can't be installed - "This computer does not meet the minimum requrements for installing the software" . 

As i wrote here i have tried a lot of things and nothing works. 
Since i spend almost a month and couldn't fix it i think it is some hardware problem and i think to send it for repair. I hope that my extended warranty will help me here and they can find what is wrong.

biboslav
Punch Card
Views: 6,445
Message 9 of 11

My Y500 came back from repair 5 days ago. They said the monitor cable is changed. It is a bit strange - it never blinked or something when I have adjusted the lid or closed/opened. It always stoped working on install of video drivers and/or restart. And monitor worked just fine on boot screen before driver loads. 

It is a mistery for me but for 5 days it is working fine - clean install on Windows 7 or 8 with latest video drivers and all. I hope it will work just fine from now on. 

acesicillo
What's DOS?
Views: 6,098
Message 10 of 11

Hi all I want to tell my story. I have my IDEAPAD Y500 with NVIDIA 650M video card, it started to fail with the NVIDIA driver, said he had stopped responding, try many versions of drivers, but not make it, this happened with Windows 8.1 x64, I thought installing Windows 7 x64 would have better result but got worse, the laptop does not start, the screen is black, I read many post and among the many things I've done, one was to change the thermal paste, probe cleaning RAM slots and now buy in ebay cable video, what I have concluded is that the laptop works and starts better if I disable the video driver, this happens randomly, sometimes with de NVIDIA 340.52 driver, the laptop shows the logo of lenovo but not start windows, sometimes windows starts but stays on the logo screen and users can not see, sometimes the screen users see but when I select my user gets the black screen, think it is memory? video cable? ?, the motherboard video card?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors