Token Ring
Views: 1,136
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Y510P HDD problem. Nuke?

Make: Lenovo

Model: Y510p

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT755M 2GB

Problem:

1 When I was able to access computer HDD disk usage would randomly spike to 100% for a couple of minutes every few minutes.

2 Stuck at lenovo loading screen (won't load onekey recovery or log on screen).

Early Symptoms:

1 Shutdown laptop using start button, after a while of black screen laptop would not shut down so I shut it down with power button. The next day windows would not start last thing I installed was Hamachi and steam game called Life is Strange.

What I've tried:

I have tried factory reset. For a while it worked but I was having the above problem 1.

I tried a clean boot and upon restart I now have problem 2 and can no longer factory reset using onekey recovery.

Solution:

I'm thinking there is a virus or hardware problem having to do with my HDD and what I have come up with is to

a) use something called DBAN to reformat, however I have tried to boot from flashdrive and although in the bios booting from flashdrive is enabled it won't boot ie. I have no clue what i'm doing.

b) reinstall windows from a disk after formatting. Again I want to boot through flashdrive but I'm not sure how to get bios to boot it.

or

c) replacing the hdd with an ssd so I bought an ssd and think I know how to replace it but won't be able to use the migration software. My question is: will I be able to install windows if I just replace the HDD with a blank SSD? And if there is a virus will the SSD catch it??

Please I need my computer for work and school any help is greatly appreciated! :'(

loft8
Token Ring
Views: 1,097
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Y510P HDD problem. Nuke?

figured out how to boot usb had to turn on legacy mode! I'm nuking hdd now!
loft8
Token Ring
Views: 1,069
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Y510P HDD problem. Nuke?

Ok so dban failed Smiley Sad so I'm just going to go ahead and swap the hdd with the ssd

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors