• Views: 239
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Y510P HDD problem. Nuke?

2016-12-03, 4:47 AM

Make: Lenovo

Model: Y510p

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT755M 2GB

Problem:

1 When I was able to access computer HDD disk usage would randomly spike to 100% for a couple of minutes every few minutes.

2 Stuck at lenovo loading screen (won't load onekey recovery or log on screen).

Early Symptoms:

1 Shutdown laptop using start button, after a while of black screen laptop would not shut down so I shut it down with power button. The next day windows would not start last thing I installed was Hamachi and steam game called Life is Strange.

What I've tried:

I have tried factory reset. For a while it worked but I was having the above problem 1.

I tried a clean boot and upon restart I now have problem 2 and can no longer factory reset using onekey recovery.

Solution:

I'm thinking there is a virus or hardware problem having to do with my HDD and what I have come up with is to

a) use something called DBAN to reformat, however I have tried to boot from flashdrive and although in the bios booting from flashdrive is enabled it won't boot ie. I have no clue what i'm doing.

b) reinstall windows from a disk after formatting. Again I want to boot through flashdrive but I'm not sure how to get bios to boot it.

or

c) replacing the hdd with an ssd so I bought an ssd and think I know how to replace it but won't be able to use the migration software. My question is: will I be able to install windows if I just replace the HDD with a blank SSD? And if there is a virus will the SSD catch it??

Please I need my computer for work and school any help is greatly appreciated! :'(

Solved! See the solution
Options

16 Posts

12-15-2014

US

34 Signins

239 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Y510P HDD problem. Nuke?

2016-12-03, 6:52 AM
figured out how to boot usb had to turn on legacy mode! I'm nuking hdd now!
Options

16 Posts

12-15-2014

US

34 Signins

239 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Y510P HDD problem. Nuke?

2016-12-03, 20:33 PM
Ok so dban failed :( so I'm just going to go ahead and swap the hdd with the ssd

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save