Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LadyNico
Paper Tape
Views: 1,264
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Y510P: Wireless Network Adapter Issues

Hello All

I have had my Lenovo Y510P since Jan/Feb of this year. It has worked like a dream, and I have thankfully avoided the problems people have seemed to have with it. Then in August, my HDD broke for an unknown reason. After 6 weeks of discussing with Lenovo, I have received my laptop back with a new HDD. Huzzah! Everything is fine. 

Needed to reinstall my programs, I connect to the internet and begin. Five minutes later, I realise that there is something wrong with my internet and that it is not stable. Many hours later (including my messing with my wireless channels, and installing updates for my WLAN) I have decided that there is a hardware issue with my adaptor. 

Searching via google then brought me across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2C1lIFvH9E

So my question is whether it is possible that when the Lenovo tech guys were replacing my HDD etc, they could have messed with my wireless card and the wires moved? (This would the explain why my laptop went from having perfect connection to it being so unstable) 

Otherwise, anyone have links to the most up to date drivers for the atheros ar9285? 

Is my best bet after trying what the video is suggesting to uninstall the drivers on my laptop and reinstall them and then pray? 

I really do not wish to send it back to be fixed....

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,222
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo Y510P: Wireless Network Adapter Issues

hi LadyNico,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Looking at page 39-40 of the HMM, removing the HDD doesn't require the wireless card antenna to be removed (although it's possible that it might have detached itself by some means).

After making sure that the wireless antenna is firmly connected and in the correct place (If you have white and black cables, black usually goes to Main, and white goes to Aux), try the following:

- Link to picture

1. Disable automatic driver installation

- this will prevent Windows Update from changing the drivers

2. Set the power settings to High Performance and turn off bluetooth

3. Install the updated driver from this page:

For Windows 8:

Drivers for Atheros AR9285 and Windows 8

Version: 10.0.0.287
File: win8-v10.0.0.287-whql.zip (7500 KB)

For Windows 8.1:

Drivers for Atheros AR9285 and Windows 8
Version: 10.0.0.274
File: win81-10.0.0.274-whql.zip (2258 KB)

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors