cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,930
Message 1 of 30

Lenovo Y510P constantly overheating and thermal throttling.

Hi everyone, 
I've had a long and complicated relationship with my lenovo Y510P, but I can't take it anymore, so I need some help. I've had a lot of problems with this model, including a bad SSHD, which I swapped for a 512GB SSD. The issue I haven't been able to resolve yet is constant overheating all the time. I have the SLI GT 775m model with 8GB ram, here are the specs:
https://pastebin.com/QjUuQUWL
As you can see I've also swapped out the 8GB of ram that it came with for 2x8GB Kingstons.
I'm just clarifying specs, the SSD and RAM do not have anything  to do with the issue, as it has persisted since about a year after I bought the laptop in 2014. At some point when I was having issues with the bad hard drive I remember I was playing something on it and the fan was howling after which the laptop restarted and i heard a click either from inside the laptop or the charger. After I restarted everything ran as usual, which at the time was extremely slow loading speeds and response time, due to the bad SHDD, so I didn't notice the problems with the temps. After a while i swapped for an SSD and upgraded the RAM, but the overheating problem persisted.
I'm currently sitting in a 25°C air-conditioned room with the laptop slightly elevated to provide airflow for the fans. I'm not doing anything at all, I'm even writing this from another machine and the laptop is idling at:
VdBbYTEmTJCdrxWKpwQrqA.pngIdle Temps
After even opening a few chrome windows or god forbid a full-hd YouTube video it immediately goes at about 85°C as shown here:
Screenshot_1.png

/For the information below I was not using using SLI and the second GPU was dedicated to PhysX/

At this point the fan is still pretty quiet for some reason. Usually it only starts up when CPU temps hit about 100°C and then the throttling begins. The example I'll use is - even loading World of Tanks makes the fan howl like crazy and the CPU throttle. While playing the game i'm on the absolute minimum graphical options and I was at a solid 60FPS most of the time, fan working at high speeds, until at some point the fan seems to stop or get really slow and the game begins stuttering at 5-10FPS for a few minutes. This has happened outside the game too with some heavier applications and some heavier website when I've had a lot of tabs in Chrome open. It has also happened in other games as well. Now, here are the things I've tried so far:
 - Fresh copy of Windows was installed when the SSD was bought (after the overheating problem began)
 - Opened the laptop, cleaned the surprisingly little amount of dust, re-applied thermal paste to CPU heatsink - probably 1 or 2°C of effect in idle, none under load
 - Used Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility to lower clocks and a bit of the voltage - very little effect, still throttling.
 - Tried running with the dust removal constantly on - slight help sometimes, but when trying the game, still throttling like crazy and just annoyingly loud
 - Not running any antivirus except Windows Defender and most of the times even disable that (as of the last scan with Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which was today there are no threats on the system)
 - May have also done something else, but forgotten about it.

I'm open to any suggestions of what might be the cause, because I don't think this is normal for this machine and also it used to run much cooler. I'm not sure but are the CPU and GPUs on the same heatsink, is it possible that somehow the heatsink above the CPU is broken somehow? I read some interesting things in this thread :
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-y...
that I'll probably be trying out, but I wanted to see some opinions before destroying part of the hull. The laptop's out of warranty as you can probably guess. Also it was sent back to the official repair service in my country when it had SHDD and overheating problems and they said it's fine (apparently it didn't load Windows for 8 minutes for them and there was no thermal throttling, go figure). Other info that might be helpful, who knows:
 - I'm using a second monitor, but it overheats without it too.
 - The background programs are mostly Skype, nVidia Settings, Samsung Magician, Intel RST, Lightshot, nothing major
 - Running Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit, latest updates
 - Using the 170W power adapter, although if the laptop is under load it gets very hot (as I mentioned I don't use SLI)
 - On cable, not using Wi-Fi

- Using Laptop almost exclusively on AC and battery is almost always plugged in, however sometimes I discharge it completely or take it out

- can't think of anything else remotely relevant, if you have any questions please ask
Like I said, I hope someone has an idea that will work. I've scoured the web and this is my last resort other than giving more money for an upgrade, which is now out of my price range
You're a hero for reading through all this, I'd buy you a beer if you were near.

KarmaMechanic
Punch Card
Views: 5,866
Message 2 of 30

Re: Lenovo Y510P constantly overheating and thermal throttling.

Those temps are definately no where near normal, especially not for a few browser tabs or youtube, the temps should be at near idle for browser use. I rountinely ran 25 to 50 browser tabs(no joke) on my y510p with absolutely no heat issues. The only times I ever had heat issues were gaming with high graphics settings at Full HD, and even that could be mitigated to an extent with a cooling pad.

Maybe it could be a bad heat pipe; but the cpu fan should be running well before 100c certainly, it should be blowing at least some air all of the time.

One note about mine, Early on after I got mine(maybe 6 months in)I did have to open up the fan housing(a couple tiny screws on its black housing) and remove a little bit of material along what seemed to be a mold seam from when they cast the aluminum, I was able to do that by scraping it with my pocket knife. The edge of the fan was catching on it and making an awful grinding type noise and I suppose it was slowing the fan down too. It doesn't sound much like your issue but I bring it up as it was the only big problem I had with the heatsink/fan unit.

I would recommend in your power plan settings lowering the minimum processor state to 50% or lower(perhaps to 20% even). I don't think that it is the primary problem but it might help to mitigate the issue a bit. Reapplying thermal compound may help as well, it's a real pain to take apart that far but you might have to eventually for this sort of issue.

Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,852
Message 3 of 30

Well, the thermal compound was replaced less than a month ago, I won't be mentioning brands, but it's one of the top rated ones. The minimum processor state is actually at 0%. I tried with the maximum at 90%, but there was still throttling and overheating, so I put it back at 100%. When last I opened the laptop to reapply the thermal paste there was almost no dust anywhere inside, didn't see anything in the fans as you mentioned. There was barely anything on the filters and heatsinks also.
LanceTheeGamer
802.11n
Views: 5,823
Message 4 of 30

Hmmm what a headache, sorry you had such a bad time with your laptop mate. I'm going to copy paste an old post I made on Reddit regarding what I did to lower my temps. I see you've already repasted, are aware of the unshrouding mod, and you undervolted. So honestly you probably won't learn much if anything from this but perhaps you will.

"Never Fear, Lance is here. I don't have Overwatch, but I do have a y410p with pretty good thermals, so I can help you there. In fact my y410p has the [best score of any 755M SLI machine](http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7029653) so listen up.

1.) Re-paste your laptop. That involves taking it apart to get to the motherboard. If you aren't sure how to do that, just google y500/y510p re-paste or something similar and you'll find some tutorials. Just be careful, you don't want to damage anything.

2.) Clean your laptop. While you're taking the laptop apart to re-paste, you should clean out any dust that's accumulated inside it as well. Especially around fan. Just take care that you don't manually spin the fan, as that can damage it's rotor.

3.) Do the same to the Ultrabay GPU. Basically you should re-paste and clean your second 755M as well.

4.) Do the Spring/Spacer mod. [Detailed here](https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3779-y500y510p-spring-mod-with-spacer-guide/), it helps immensely with cooling, in conjunction with a fresh re-paste and cleaning. I myself used 2 spacers (or was it 3....) per spring. WARNING: If you attempt it on you ultrabay 750M be very careful, as it's far more delicate than the main motherboard. I'd recommend using only once spacer on each spring there.

5.) Remove the fabric dust filter from the bottom of the laptop. It allows more cool air into you machine ans sets up for the next suggestion.

6.) Do the un-shrouding mod. [As detailed here](https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-y...), it basically allows your fans to suck in more cool air, always a good thing. This is the only mod I haven't done, as I lack the tools.

7.) Undervolt/underclock your GPUs and CPU: The GPUs can be undervolted via Nvidia Inspector and the CPU likewise via Intel XTU. You'll need the y510p BIOS mod to undervolt the GPUs, if you don't have it. This makes a huge different in temperatures. Underclocking/undervolting the CPU is more risky, so [here's
a place you can look to get started.](http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/lenovo-ideapad-y410p-owners-and-information-thread.721331/pa...)

8.) Get the [Ideafan script](https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/5780-ideafan-for-y510p-y500-g500-y580-y410p/). This script is absolutely amazing. Basically it runs the Lenovo Dust Remover functionality in a loop, maxing out you laptop's fans when you need them most.

9.) Keep the laptop cool: This one sounds redundant, but basically I mean do everything you can to help keep you laptop running cool. Propping up the laptop helps immensely with airflow, and a cooling pad is even better. Likewise a cool, well air conditioned room does a computer well.

Do these things, and you should be golden. I normally run my y410p with the GPUs at stock clocks and -112.5mV. Without Ideafan they max out at 82C and 79C and Ideafan cuts down the max the the low 70s; but when I say max out I mean stress testing (Furmark). During normal gameplay (such as Skyrim) they don't break 60C. Likewise Ideafan during Skyrim cuts down temps to the low 50s. I haven't done a long CPU benchmark with my current settings (Non Turbo 2.2GHz, Turbo 3.0/2.9/2.8/2.7GHz, -90mV Core and Cache, 37W Turbo Boost Power Max, 48.750W Turbo Boost Short Power Max), but the ones I have done (1 hour) show temperatures of no higher than 65C anywhere on the CPU. Ideafan can only lower those temperatures of course.

If you have any other questions, or just aren't sure about something let me know. Hopefully I could help you with your high temperatures."

y410p - Windows 10 x64 | i7-4700MQ | 16GB RAM |GT 755M SLI| 512GB ZTC M.2 |
3DMark: 4228 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7029653
KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 5,744
Message 5 of 30

First, you must realize that notebooks normally overheat, and pretty much all of them with powerful hardware have really bad temperatures. In my case I have a Y510P with an i7-4700MQ (4 cores + HT) and a single GT 755M, these are my temps:

Idle: varies a lot between summer and winter. They go from 30ºC to 50ºC in the GPU, and from 40ºC to 55ºC in the CPU.

Gaming or heavy usage: Both GPU and CPU from 70ºC to 85ºC, depending on the game or task I'm doing.

Full CPU 4 cores (+ HT) 100% load: tasks such as exporting a video can make the CPU hit the 90ºC or even further. At 90ºC, the Turbo Boost stops and it throttles down to 2.4GHz, instead of the boosted 3.2GHz.

Stress test Full 100% GPU and 100% CPU load: both can go up to 98ºC in summer easily, specially if the notebook is resting flat in a flat surface.

Those temps are bad, but also those are the regular temps of the regular "gaming" or powerful notebook with these dimensions. They are not horrible though, except the stress test ones.

I use XTU and have this setup:

CPU undervoltage: -0.060V

CPU overclock when using a single core: 3.6GHz

CPU underclock when using all 4 cores: 2.9GHz

I've underclocked the CPU when it uses the 4 cores (CPU load) to 2.9GHz instead of the default 3.2GHz so the i7 don't throttles when exporting a video. At 2.9GHz, I don't hit the 90ºC under full CPU load, so I can have permantent 2.9GHz when doing heavy duty CPU tasks.

Besides XTU, I have not modded my Y510P, I've only repasted it 2 weeks ago, but didn't notice huge change, that is because I clean it regularly and I keep it clean and nice. I'm sure you can achieve better temps cutting the chasis and doing some mods, but I'm not interested in those for now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P: Windows 10 x64, i7-4700MQ, nVIDIA GT755M, 15.6" Full HD, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM
Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,738
Message 6 of 30

Thanks for the replies everyone, in the end, I decided to replace the entire heatsink with the fans for a new one as to me it seems these temps for an undervolted CPU are not normal. Later on, I'll probably be doing the un-shrouding mod if this doesn't help.
Have a great day!
Kised1
Punch Card
Views: 5,406
Message 7 of 30

Hello,did changing the heatsink and thermal paste help to reduce the temperatures?.i have the same overheating issues but still contemplating replacing the heatsink and fans.

Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,400
Message 8 of 30

Hi there!
Changing the thermal paste fixed nothing, there wasn't even a 1-2 degree drop in temperatures. As for the heatsink - I still haven't found the courage to change it, don't want to pay someone to do it and I'm a bit scared of doing it myself. Please let me know if you decide to replace them and what the effects are.

Kised1
Punch Card
Views: 5,349
Message 9 of 30

Hello sir.i will be getting the heatsink from ebay next week.hope it works,i will keep you posted about the results.waht made suspicious is cpu and motherboard temps reach their 90s quickly but the air blowout isnt as hot,it is about 50 degrees at best.otherwise thanks for the reply.all the best,consider changing the heatsink your self as it is so easy.you will save some bucks.

KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 5,341
Message 10 of 30

Yeah, unless your laptop is dirty, replacing the thermal paste does nothing, since it's as good as it can get with the original thermal paste. After 3 years, I cleaned and disassembled entirely my Y510P, replaced the thermal compound with Arctic MX-4, did tests before and after, and as the user up here already said, I did not notice any improvement in temperature, minimal, almost invisible. This means that as long as you take care and clean your Y510P regularly, it will stay as cool as the first day.

"As cool" means: gaming around 75-85ºC in GPU or CPU, and intenste overkill tasks can drive your Y510P up to 98ºC GPU or CPU.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P: Windows 10 x64, i7-4700MQ, nVIDIA GT755M, 15.6" Full HD, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors