cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kised1
Punch Card
Views: 1,538
Message 11 of 30

Re: Lenovo Y510P constantly overheating and thermal throttling.

The problem am having with mine is the cpu temperatures rise so fast e.g upto the 90s in about 30 seconds yet the air blown out is so cool.so am just really hoping and playing its a heatsink problem.
LanceTheeGamer
802.11n
Views: 1,521
Message 12 of 30

That's actually not true. The reason being is while yes keeping your laptop's fans and other internal components clean and dust free will help with cooling and keeping temperatures lower that is a separate issue from what thermal paste is used to address. As the purpose of thermal paste is to fill in the tiny microscopic gaps between the CPU/GPU die and the computer's copper heat sink. If you simply had a heatsink resting on the CPU/GPU without thermal paste, the thermal transfer would be woefully inefficient and usually inadequate because the physical connection between them is too imperfect to overcome the about of heat generated by such hot components. 

The reason why you don't see much of an effect in changing the thermal paste on your y510p is because Lenovo constructed a poor thermal solution. Despite how tightly you screw down your heatsink on your y510p, or how well you apply your thermal paste, the connection between the CPU/GPU die and copper heatsink is not tight enough to facilitate the heat transfer. It would be as if you only loosely screwed on the legs on a table, and then complained that the table is too wobbly and unstable. 

As such that's where the "Spring mod and spacer guide" I linked to in my previous response aims to address. By installing the spacers, the heatsink is pressed much more tightly to the CPU/GPU die, and the thermal paste is then able to do its job of filling in the microscopic gaps between the tightly pressed spaces. As it stands the thermal paste isn't doing much because it's not designed to fill in such a large gap between the two surfaces; thus it looks useless. 

y410p - Windows 10 x64 | i7-4700MQ | 16GB RAM |GT 755M SLI| 512GB ZTC M.2 |
3DMark: 4228 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7029653
Kised1
Punch Card
Views: 1,466
Message 13 of 30

I replaced the heatsink and applied artic mx4.temperatures are now 65 max at full load.

Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,459
Message 14 of 30

That's extremely helpful, thanks! I might just do the same since I have a similar issue and a new heatsink doesn't cost that much. Did you get yours off of eBay?

Kised1
Punch Card
Views: 1,446
Message 15 of 30

Yes sir.i got one off ebay at 15 bucks.heatsinks can actually fail though rarely.

KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 1,406
Message 16 of 30

Wait, there's no way that's true. My Y510P, and I'm sure all unmodified Y510P behave like this, reach easily 95-98ºC under FULL LOAD, and that means running Prime95 (puts full load on CPU i7-4700MQ) and at the same time FurMark (puts ful load on GPU GT 755M).

Can you make a video running those two programs for 20 minutes or so until temps stay constant and share it?

Use a smartphone or something to record it, not a screen capturer.

I'd would believe that with some modifications, my Y510P could reach under Full Load about 85ºC or so, but 65ºC under a stress test?

Not even supreme temps gaming laptopts such as some Alienware can have those nice temperatures under full load.

By the way, I don't know if it was you, but someone said that the air of the fan was coming out not too warm. Well, if your Y510P is working and is not faulty, the air under Full Load or when gaming gets pretty darn hot, so yeah, that means the fan works, so do the copper pipes. If the air is not coming out very hot, then your Y510P was faulty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P: Windows 10 x64, i7-4700MQ, nVIDIA GT755M, 15.6" Full HD, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM
Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,099
Message 17 of 30

Glad to say I finally got around to changing the heatsink and the problem was there. Apparently, the laptop had a faulty cooling system, just like it had a faulty SSHD, overall not a great experience with Lenovo and their support at all. I changed the heatsink as it appeared the heat was not spreading through the whole copper pipe, but was instead reaching a maximum distance of about 2-3 cm from the CPU. After I installed the new one and repasted my Temps dropped from downvolted, downclocked throttled 100° C to boosting non-throttled temps of max 80° C at the heaviest loads, 50-55° C in a 28° C room on low-medium loads. Kised1, I hope this reaches you and you have my thanks for the idea Smiley Happy

Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,095
Message 18 of 30

@KronosTC the fix for air not coming out too warm is a faulty heatsink as I've found out. The heat does not spread outwards and therefore doesn't reach the fan, so this way the CPU stays hot and the fan is blowing out slightly warm air. I'm not entire sure of the internals of a heat pipe, but I know there should be a fluid and a wick for the heat exchange to work. If those are somehow compromised it does not spread the heat effectively, which leads to the heat not reaching the fan, which leads to warm (not hot) air from the fan.
KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 1,093
Message 19 of 30

Unless my Lenovo Y510P is faulty, and the notebookcheck model too, you're not telling the truth. I re-pasted and fully cleaned my Y510P months ago (it was not even dusty, and it almost didn't improve), and under Full load Furmark+Prime95, ONE, the i7-4700MQ throttles from 3.19GHz to 2.39GHz because TWO, the temperatures of both GT 755M and i7 go up to 95°C. There's no way in heaven your Y510P under Full load reaches just 80°C maximum (where, CPU or GPU?) and it doeando even throttle down and stays at 3.19GHz. No way, prove it with screenshots showing Prime95+Furmark running, Task Manager CPU to see the GHz and GPU-z + Real Temp to see the temperatures of the GPU and CPU.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P: Windows 10 x64, i7-4700MQ, nVIDIA GT755M, 15.6" Full HD, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM
Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,091
Message 20 of 30

I never said full load, I said heavy load, I had several heavy Chrome tabs loaded + my work software + a 1080p 60fps video + a Fallout Shelter instance from Steam. My problem from the beginning was CPU temps as stated, so I was referring to those temperatures above. I don't have the software needed at the moment to benchmark everything you want, nor do I think it's needed, as a benchmark is not a realistic everyday temperature test. I'll never run something that will bring my CPU and GPU at 100% simultaneously. I guess you'll have to take my word for it since I'm the original poster and my problem was fixed Smiley Happy At the moment all I can tell you is that a 20 minute Furmark test gave a max CPU temp of 83 on two of the cores and 80 or below on the rest.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors