cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 568
Message 21 of 30

Re: Lenovo Y510P constantly overheating and thermal throttling.

Then you have what everybody has: a Y510P that under full loads reaches 95°C in both CPU and GPU, plus the i7 throttles to 2.39GHz. This test is not done to check your temps, it's to compare how our Y510P's behave under the same conditions. Playing demanding videogames you will reach in both CPU and GPU high 80°C for sure. Under full load with just Prime 95 running, the i7 still throttles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P: Windows 10 x64, i7-4700MQ, nVIDIA GT755M, 15.6" Full HD, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM
Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 565
Message 22 of 30

I haven't encountered a task that has throttled my CPU in 5 years of using it (outside of the period of heat-related issues), so a CPU that throttles only under benchmarking is a non-issue and therefore irrelevant. I hope you take no offense, but what you're saying doesn't matter at all to the original topic. The original problem was an instantly overheating throttling CPU and diagnosing it, which has since been resolved. KarmaMechanic had an idea about a bad heat pipe and was right, Kised1 later also confirmed and made me check mine. It was an entirely hardware-related problem, as I suspected. Frankly i'm surprised and delighted that the CPU hasn't burned yet.

KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 552
Message 23 of 30

You haven't encountered a task that made your i7 throttle. Wow, then I don't know why you bought an i7 notebook. Any task that uses the i7 at its full potential will make it throttle: Premiere Pro, Vegas, audio editing... Gaming is not one of those tasks, but even then, I challenge you to play BF4 and tell me your i7 didn't go down to 2.39GHz.

YOU WISH the Y510P throttled only under synthetic full load tests... you wish. The cooling system is quite bad, it's a fact.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Y510P: Windows 10 x64, i7-4700MQ, nVIDIA GT755M, 15.6" Full HD, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM
Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 549
Message 24 of 30

I'm one of those people that has the common sense of rendering on a desktop machine, not an outdated laptop. I never said the cooling system is good, infact I know it's not Smiley Happy What I said was for my experience so far I haven't encountered throttling, because I've set my laptop as I like it, undervolted and well-ventilated. I can't say the full potential of a mobile i7 is rendering, they're quite weak for that. Sadly I don't own a BF4 copy, so can't comply with your request.
KronosTC
SCSI Port
Views: 548
Message 25 of 30

The i7-4700MQ is a hell of a CPU, I can move whatever the heck I want, Premiere Pro works like a Charm, any intense CPU task will be done perfectly fine in the Y510P. You cleralc don't know what you have. Now, that doesn't mean it couldn't be better, of course it could, with double fan like the new lenovo legion it wouldn't throttle I believe. By the way, my Y510P renders faster that the desktop i5 6400 I have because it has 8 threads instead of 4. Only an ignorant would call this CPU a weak one, what the hell...

Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 542
Message 26 of 30

Please don't think you're always right and please don't assume you know things about people. Not that I don't appreciate being called a liar but there's no need to show your "superior" knowledge or call someone names. Again, twisting my words - I never said the CPU is weak but rather weak for rendering as there are many superior CPUs for that and mainly - GPUs because that's where the rendering power is. I just wanted to share to the guy that helped me that It worked and to anyone that encounters the same problem - a possible solution. And also tell you what the hot CPU - cool air problem is due to. I'm leaving this thread as the problem was resolved. Peace out.
For anyone reading just the end of the thread for answers - it was a faulty heat pipe on the cooling.
PhantomRides
Paper Tape
Views: 144
Message 27 of 30

Solved Overheating by replacing Thermal Compound!

My W510 has had overheating problems for years even with constant cleaning and external fans.

5 years is too long for most compounds.  This model year had poor thermal paste new. 

The original compound looked OK visually. There was no dirt anywhere.

I finally took it apart and replaced it.

I used Arctic MX-4 because it was highly rated and affordable.

As a retired A+ tech I knew to put a thin complete layer on both surfaces.

The Lenovo W510 now runs for hours after using Arcti MX-4!

ZeroBlack
Paper Tape
Views: 115
Message 28 of 30

Hi
You can give me a model or link the heatskin you buy please
I would really appreciate it, since I still can't solve my problem
PhantomRides
Paper Tape
Views: 103
Message 29 of 30

Arctic Mx-4 4g Thermal Compound Paste 2019 Year Edition is Available on ebay

Remove all old compound, clean both surfaces, apply thin complete layer, tighten evenly.
Playnot
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 97
Message 30 of 30

Hi there,
Unfortunately I can't help you, I just popped over to a store in my town that had parts from disassembled devices and also new replacements and they were able to help me. If you try looking at eBay/Amazon or similar sites you should probably come across a model that's okay for you. Just be sure to verify that it is indeed for your laptop model, other than that you should be fine.
Good luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors