Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamesonk7xx
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 15

Lenovo Y510P not booting, blank screen on startup

Hi everyone,

I've had a Lenovo Y510P with SLI 750m's for about 1 year and 3 months now. 2 weeks ago (around the time I upgraded to Windows 10). My laptop suddenly is unable to boot for the most part.

When I press power, it hangs on the initial blank screen, with no logo pop-up. I have managed to get it to boot before, just simply by restarting over and over, but it's been 3 days and no luck now. It simply stays on a blank screen (no backlight), though the keyboard and power button light up. 

Here are the steps I've taken to troubleshoot:
-> Removed battery, unplugged AC, performed "fleeting power removal" by holding the power button for 60 secs (have done this multiple times)

-> Removed RAM, changed slots etc. When there is no RAM, the machine will continuously reboot
-> Removed HDD, reseated

-> Removed 2nd GPU. When the 2nd GPU is plugged in, the fan will try and spin every so often

-> Unplugged connectors to wi-fi module

-> Restarted many times

-> Pressed the NOVO button, it simply brings it to the blank screen

Any advice would be much appreciated. The laptop itself is in good condition, and has little physical ware. Unfortunately it's no longer under warranty, and I'm sure the cost of sending it in is quite high.

Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo Y510P not booting, blank screen on startup

If you boot without the HDD, what happens?

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Jamesonk7xx
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 15

Same thing unfortunately. Blank screen, power button/keyboard are lit up, and the CPU fan is spinning. 

Guru
Message 4 of 15

Well then I dont know how it happened but seems like your laptop is either bricked or has a dead motherboard.

Either way, the BIOS is not loading.

Make sure that every external device is unplugged and then try to boot again.

Do you remember how this happened? (maybe installed something new or connected a new hardware)

Also, Y510p is not in supported devices list for windows 10 but this is an isolated case of a complete failure.

Did you have a modded BIOS before upgrade?

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Rob17
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 15

I'm having this same problem. Non-modded Bios. Tried the same "fleeting power removal" with no change. Also tried removing second GFX card, no change. I have not tried removing HD or RAM yet. Wanted to see if you guys resolved it? There was never a response on this thread.

The computer was left on, unplugged from AC power. This was the result. One thing mine does differently is if I plug in AC power after it's been turned on it makes a very loud beep sound. The same sound happens when unplug AC power.

Rob17
What's DOS?
Message 6 of 15

I removed the following one by one.

Second GFX: No change

3.5" HDD: No Change

WiFi antenae: No Change

SDD: No change

RAM: Same result, but system shuts itself off after a few seconds

Also tried a different AC Adapter, no change.

ted_d_bear
Paper Tape
Message 7 of 15

Are there any updates to anyone's issue?  My son's y510p has been intermittently working since end of May.  He would have issues with the screen going blank while on the laptop.  He would then restart the computer and everything would work.  Then the issue started to happen more frequently.  His screen would go black and wouldn't come back on until the next day(with him restarting the computer several times throughout the day).   It would work fine for a few hours and then go black again.

The computer will turn on and the keyboard lights up and you can hear the fan run.  But the screen is completely black.  It will also not show up using an external monitor.

I ended up using NOVO the other day.  It took us several days to get through it as the screen kept going black throughout the process, but we finally managed to finish the process and got it up and running and everything worked fine for a full day.  The next day (yesterday) when he turned it on, he got the blank screen once again.

I am at a loss of what to do at this point.  Before we did the NOVO, we had done all the steps to remove memory, pheripherals, HD, etc. and nothing had changed.  We have not done the same steps since we restored the computer.  I originally thought the graphics driver was the problem, as I had read that an update from May could be causing the issue, but once we reset the computer, it had the older driver and unless it installed a newer one in the background, I think it might still have the older one.  I can't check though because I can't see anything now.  This is the second day that the screen has been black.  Before, we could always count on the screen coming back up after leaving it off overnight.

Any ideas of what I could do next?

Guru
Message 8 of 15

To everyone who is having blank screen issues, which does not go away even after a RESET or swapping of parts, this is most probably a failure of the motherboard.

It is not a screen failure since in that case the external display should work.

This is NOT a -

1) HDD failure as the display should definitely come on with a bootable device error.

2) RAM failure as again the display should come on.

3) BIOS failure as you wouldnt be able to do a reset

4) Drivers failure/software issue else the laptop reset would fix it

5) Power brick failure as the laptop should work on battery

6) Battery failure as the laptop would show no signs of life

Motherboard issues generally produce a beep while booting, so if you hear a beep or multiple beeps this definitely is a motherboard issue.

If the discrete or onboard GPU (which is part of the MoBo) has failed, then again it is a Motherboard failure and the whole motherboard will be replaced.

Jamesonk7xx
Paper Tape
Message 9 of 15

I hate to say it, but I gave up. I tried absolutely everything short of replacing the motherboard, which would have cost me the equivalent of a new laptop after everything was said and done. I probably put the equivalent of 20+ hours working on trying to fix it, but no to avail. The next thing I should've done would have been to find the datasheets and confirm voltages across components, and replace whatever was broken.

I've since replaced it with an MSI laptop with 2 years (+2 years extra warranty) and it's been running great.

ted_d_bear
Paper Tape
Message 10 of 15

Is there always a beep on the motherboard issue? I don't hear any beeps on startup.
Top Kudoed Authors