Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idan37s
Paper Tape
Views: 784
Message 1 of 16

Lenovo Y510P with a Windows 10 on SSD randomly freezes but mouse still moves

Hi Guys,

I have Lenovo Y510P with Windows 10 and i recently installed a new MyDigitalSSD 256GB in the M.2 slot (instead of the 24GB cache ssd) and i'm using the ssd as my main drive for OS and programs.

I'm getting reandom freezes during regular operation, I can still move my mouse duriing those freezes but that's it, it won't unfreeze unless I do an hard reset..

Those freezes happen only when the OS is running from the SSD, when I'm I run a copy of that OS from the HDD, it doesn' happen ad everything works.

Before installing the ssd, every cache software was uninstalled and i even tried a fresh new clean win10 install on the ssd but the freezes still happens.

I read and tried LOTS of solutions (checking for errors in the ssd, disabling SLI, disabling LPM, etc.) but nothing helps.

I'm really desperate for a solution, Doesn any one has an idea on what is the problem?

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 763
Message 2 of 16

Re: Lenovo Y510P with a Windows 10 on SSD randomly freezes but mouse still moves

what i understood is that slot you got there isnt meant for a big SSD :/ so thats probably why os freezes some times it's a cache slot meant for small sized ssd cache drives if understood it right.
idan37s
Paper Tape
Views: 748
Message 3 of 16

Re: Lenovo Y510P with a Windows 10 on SSD randomly freezes but mouse still moves

But it's work great most of the time, it's seems weird that it will freeze even if it's a cache slot..

What about someone from lenovo support? any help guys?

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 741
Message 4 of 16

You won't get better answer than what I said :/ that slot isn't meant for official os use with big ssd so using os there is at your own risk so any issues you get won't be solved since all Lenovo team will state is not use it for os
invaliduser1d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 732
Message 5 of 16

Hi idan37s,

Coincidently, I have the EXACT same issue. Except my mouse freezes too, everything freezes at random intervals during regular operation and results in a hard reset. I performed the exact same upgrade as you with the exact same MyDigitalSSD 256GB m.2 SSD to replace the cache drive and installed win 10 to that drive. the rest of the machine is stock. I have been pulling my hair out to figure it out and have tried everything under the sun. I am considering trying to install windows 7 or 8 to see if that fixes the issue (thinking could be a win10 bug?) have you tried that yet? I know it is not preferable, but i'm willing to roll back to prevent it from happening.

Please, please, let me know if you end up getting this fixed. I will do the same.

-Daniel

invaliduser1d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 731
Message 6 of 16

as for the other response, in researching M.2 to verify that this particular connector can sustain larger drives i found the following information.

"M.2 is a new form of connectivity that allows a SSD to connect directly to the PCI-E bus rather than going through a SATA controller. By bypassing the SATA controller, a M.2 drive is only limited by the speed of the drive itself and the generation/number of PCI-E lanes it uses. By using just four PCI-E 2.0 lanes, a M.2 drive can theoretically have a maximum throughput as high as 2GB/s. to put this into perspective, that is over three times faster than SATA III limitation of 600MB/s."

This particular slot does not have a limitation by connector, only by the physical drive itsself. The factory installed drive was used as a Cache drive, this is true. However, the slot can support any M.2 drive that meets the physical dimension requirements. The MyDigital SSD M.2 256GB in question meets those phsyical requirements and is working with no issues 75% of the time.

After trying everything for 3 months, i am convinced this is a software issue and most likely a Windows 10 bug. Will try this weekend to roll back and see if it helps.

idan37s
Paper Tape
Views: 713
Message 7 of 16

Hi,

I haven't tried yet installing windows 7 or 8 on the ssd,
Please keep me posted if that works for you.

I'm talking with MyDigitalSsd support and trying to see if they have a solution,
I will write here in case I find something new.

Goodluck!

mindfrost82
Fanfold Paper
Views: 551
Message 8 of 16

Was anyone able to find a solution to this?  I'm having the exact same problem with the exact same SSD, except I'm on a Lenovo 20DM S3 Yoga 14.  I found this registry key and the freezes seem less frequent, but still happens.

invaliduser1d
Fanfold Paper
Views: 539
Message 9 of 16

I never could solve it, spent a good month trying. I ended up buying a new laptop and have the 256gb MyDigital SSD m.2 collecting dust because it's form factor won't fit my new y700 (it's too short and won't reach the screw to keep it in place, the default 128gb ssd is a bit longer). 

mindfrost82
Fanfold Paper
Views: 535
Message 10 of 16

I'm hoping I figured it out.  I updated my article:  http://www.tecklyfe.com/fix-windows-10-freezes-mouse-still-moves/

After my clean Windows install, I went through all of the drivers from the Lenovo site.  The first thing I tried was related to the generic Microsoft SATA AHCI driver.  I made that registry change and the problem seem to lessen, but would still happen.

I looked back at the Lenovo site and saw they had an Intel SATA driver for my laptop.  When I run the exe, it says complete, but it only created a folder and puts the files in there, it doesn't actually install the driver.  For me, it created the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN\IRST

I went back into Device Manager and went to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

Then I right clicked on the Generic SATA controller and went to Update Driver Software, then "Browse My Computer For Driver Software" and I browsed to the IRST folder.  After clicking next, it automatically found the driver and installed it.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors