Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
1davidb123
What's DOS?
Views: 5,453
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Y510p SSD upgrade

Hello, can i use for M.2 SSD A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB [ASP900NS38-128GM-C] ?

Guru
Views: 5,404
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo Y510p SSD upgrade

Yup, as long as its 2.5" SATA 3 which the Adata is. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,392
Message 3 of 11

@1davidb123 wrote:

Hello, can i use for M.2 SSD A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB [ASP900NS38-128GM-C] ?

I would advise being cautious.  EricX mentions using a 2.5 inch SATA SSD drive, but that would replace your existing drive.  Is that what you were intending?

If you were thinking of using an M.2 SSD drive, it is not clear that the Y510P can accommodate one.  In the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" there is one mention of this, in the "Specifications" section, where for the "PCI Express Mini Card slot" (page 28 in the HMM), it shows:

Wimax/WIFI x 1

SSD x 1

I think that these are alternatives, which means that you would have to remove the wi-fi card in order to fit the M.2 SSD.  Also, there is no mention anywhere else in the HMM of what M.2 SSD drives are compatible.  This suggests to me that the mention of "SSD x 1" might actually be a mistake.

So, proceed with caution.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

1davidb123
What's DOS?
Views: 5,388
Message 4 of 11

Thank you. I know this, some M.2 ssd are 80mm, for lenovo y510p i need 40mm ssd. And yes i will use my hdd + m.2 ssd slot

Guru
Views: 5,372
Message 5 of 11

Hi, take a look at this link: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/ideapad-y510p

If you're replacing the hard drive in the system, you'll just need a 2.5" SATA 3 7mm SSD, like this Adata (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211601) and the ones I linked above. 

A 2.5" SSD isn't M.2; that's a completely different standard. If you're looking to replace your wireless card, which uses the PCIe slot, you'll need something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6Gb-s-Half-Size-mSATA-Mini-PCIE-SSD-16GB-Solid-State-Drive-US-Seller-/25...

I would just suggest replacing the hard drive and that be it, since you can't really do much with such a small mini PCIe SSD anyways. Plus, they're much more expensive when you compare it to its 2.5" or M.2 counterparts. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Cyp
Paper Tape
Views: 4,000
Message 6 of 11

Your M.2 SSD A-Data Premier Pro SP900 will only work in Compatible-IDE mode with the Y510P. I have the same setup (Lenovo Y510P + M.2 SSD A-Data Premier Pro SP900) and no matter of the configurations in BIOS, it only works in IDE mode.

LeandroBezerra
What's DOS?
Views: 426
Message 7 of 11

Hello! What does that mean? I want to insert an SSD in the extra slot that this laptop has. Can i install windows on this SSD, or do I have to remove my dvd and put a 2.5" SSD?

Cyp
Paper Tape
Views: 408
Message 8 of 11

I have only had and tried an A-Data Premier Pro SP900 in the M.2 slot of the Y510P and this SSD was only recognized when selecting the IDE compatible mode. And yes, I was able to install and boot Windows 10 from it in this mode, but you will not be able to use the M.2 SSD at its full potential of course, not being in native SATA AHCI mode. With all the troubleshooting I have done, if you want to try the M.2 slot of the Y510P, buy anyother M.2 SSD than A-Data. And post the results here.

LeandroBezerra
What's DOS?
Views: 377
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the feedback Cyp!

I'll buy another one and post the results here.

LeandroBezerra
What's DOS?
Views: 141
Message 10 of 11

Hello Cyp!  I have a feedback for you and the community.

I bought a KingSpec M.2 2280/2242 128GB.

It worked perfectly, after installed it didn't appear to me. I just needed to go to "Computer Management", then clicked on the unnalocated memory with the right button, then chose "New sample volume" and it was ready. After that I booted Win 10 from my USB driver. 

It is incredibly better!!! Really fast! Loving it!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors