Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Characterman
What's DOS?
Views: 673
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Y560 Repair Issues.... PLEASE HELP

OK, so i have a client who has spent quite a deal of money replacing parts on his lenovo Y560 Corei7 laptop. i didnt make any promises that it would work, but hes dropped a lot of cash on it, so i dont want to dissapoint him. his daughter spilled a cup of coffee on it and it crashed. so he had me test the parts and tell him what worked.. (RAM, HDD, DVD Burner, Wifi Card all checked out.  after explaining it to him, he asked me to replace the  malfuncioning parts (MoBo and CPU) so i did. The front panel circuit boards could not be tested as i do not have a lenovo y560 just sitting around to test them on. the keyboard is also probably dead.

After replacing the Mobo, i attempted to turn the machine on and the response i got was a blinking power button followed by a blinking bluetooth light followed by no response. So i assumed the CPU was bad and bought another one. I got the same response after that.

Can someone tell me what this computer is trying to tell me? i am not very familiar with lenovo laptops and would like to know what it means when the lights blink like that. and what problems, if any should i resolve before expecting it to boot?? BTW the indicator light recognizes my universal adapter. should i have an original lenovo adapter on it? some of the hp's that i work on need to have an original hp adapter before they will start.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 628
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Y560 Repair Issues.... PLEASE HELP

lenovo computers have black/white list for the parts and if you are trying to run it with the parts that not suggested, usually it doesn't work.

still, could be anything. can you provide some more information about at least the blinking? ( long, short, etc )

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Characterman
What's DOS?
Views: 606
Message 3 of 4

really sucks to hear that i might have the wrong parts for this super expensive laptop... but thank you greatly for your help since no one else has bothered to look into it.

Ok, the lights that were blinking when i pressed the power button were one right after the other and lasted no more than half a second. They blinked as follows: power button light, bluetooth light, dvd burner light, front power indicator light. They only blink once and form a circle path. also, i thought that my co-worker had checked the RAM out, but it turns out that he couldnt because we dont have addr3 RAM laptop to test it on, nor do we have ddr3 to replace this RAM with.

My problem, however, has slightly shifted directions. The computer now powers on, but not indefinitely.  during startup repair or the Windows 7 splash screen, or some seconds after the bios is up, it will turn off suddenly (with the adapter or the battery) When i remove the top panel (where the keyboard and mousepad sit), it will stay on.  Total,  i have replaced the power jack, motherboard, processor,  HDD and adapter. the keyboard is on its way, and im still having this issue. the only thing i can come up with is that the memory is causing this, the screws are causing some kind of pressure on the board, or that the top panel is making contact with the MoBo and making it shut off. either way, after messing with it for a week, i still cant seem to find what is going on.  thanks again for all of your help. i hope this is not too much to read

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 589
Message 4 of 4

it's kinda hard to understand/fix the hardware issue from here but i can suggest you take a look at the document below for compatible devices. it just could be ram or even something that we couldn't think what it's but i also suggest you to use external monitor to check if the lcd/connectors/cable.

hope this helps.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/uk/en/UserGuide/Guide_show_1273733246573.html

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors