cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
razorchalice
Paper Tape
Views: 3,547
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Y580 Bios NOT updating. Stuck on version 2. Latest update on Y580 driver support page - 4.0.

Lenovo Y580 Bios NOT updating. Stuck on version 2. Latest update on Y580 driver support page - 4.0.

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Moderator note: images totalling more than 50k converted to links per forum rules:  Lenovo Community Participation Rules

razorchalice
Paper Tape
Views: 3,521
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y580 Bios NOT updating. Stuck on version 2. Latest update on Y580 driver support page - 4

What can I do to resolve this issue?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,514
Message 3 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y580 Bios NOT updating. Stuck on version 2. Latest update on Y580 driver support page - 4

Hi razorchalice, welcome to the forum.Cat Very Happy

You already have Version 5DCN40WW(V2.07) installed on your Y580. See the line above the SMBIOS Version in your picture. The actual BIOS number is 2.07, not the 4.0 you think the "new" version is on the Lenovo download page.

The date difference between the download page, and what BIOS your machine was shipped with, is due to the fact that Lenovo builds the laptop with the newest BIOS, then releases the BIOS on the download page at a later date. That's why the date is 06 Jan 2013 on the driver page.  If you go to the "Read me" page, under the BIOS download , it states the BIOS was updated 2012-11-08, even though it was not posted on the website until 06 Jan 2013:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/5dcn40ww.txt

So there is no "4.0" BIOS, just the 5DCN40WW (V2.07) that you already have. Smiley LOL

Cheers,

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

razorchalice
Paper Tape
Views: 3,510
Message 4 of 6

That cleared up a lot. Thanks!

Guru
Views: 3,504
Message 5 of 6

First you should make sure you really need to update. You should not update BIOS unless you're having problems that are solved by this particular update.

There is a way to fix it, but I do not know how it will work and I'm taking no responsibility for what might happen.

Start the downloaded exe file. When it will show that prompt just leave it like that.

All the files will be extracted in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp\

Look for a folder named "7zXXXXX.tmp", where XXXXX is a combination of numbers and letters.

You need the one with those files:

2asdasd.JPG

Edit file platform.ini

On third line change "RESSEN" to "RESSDIS". Now run "InsydeFlash.exe".

EDIT:

Well now that we have this cleared up my message is useless Smiley Tongue

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
biosissue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,848
Message 6 of 6

I also have an issue with updating my bios on my lenovo idea pad y580 to v4. I Downloaded it off the lenovo website. When it went to reboot and install it went to a black screen and one line of strange symbols with a flashing cursor at the end. I tried to hard reset but it just beeped and the symbols returned. Anything I can do to solve this problem? Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors