Did you mean: 
Leftovers
Paper Tape
Views: 444
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Y580 Booting problems with 2 ram sticks

Hi,

Backstory:

Today I've suddenly had boot-up problems with my laptop.

The day before everything worked fine, but when i tried to start my laptop the next morning, it failed (the power button only blinked). Afterwards i unplugged everything and held the power button for 15 seconds and tried to boot up with only ac plugged in. Then it started to boot, but the screen was black. Blacklight of keyboard was on, and it was starting, but just no screen. Disassembled laptop and assembled laptop, but problem persisted. Then I've tried to remove 1 RAM memory stick (the top one), and it suddenly worked again. I've tried to switch the RAM memory stick and it still booted. Afterwards I've tried to only place a ram stick in the upper slot, but then it didn.t boot.

So basically the top ram slot is suddenly broken. Not sure if this is hardware related or software related. 

So anybody knows how to fix this?

Thanks!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 436
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y580 Booting problems with 2 ram sticks

hi Leftovers,

Welcome to the Forums.

I encountered the same on an old 2011 laptop and cleaning the RAM slots using Q-tips that's damped with 99% isoprophyl alcohol helps the RAM make proper contact with the slot. 

Try to clean the RAM slots to get rid of dust and dirt then observe.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Leftovers
Paper Tape
Views: 429
Message 3 of 9

@neokenchi wrote:

hi Leftovers,

Welcome to the Forums.

I encountered the same on an old 2011 laptop and cleaning the RAM slots using Q-tips that's damped with 99% isoprophyl alcohol helps the RAM make proper contact with the slot. 

Try to clean the RAM slots to get rid of dust and dirt then observe.

Regards

Hi neokenchi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately it didn't work. I've used compressed air to blow anything out. Also used alcohol to clean it.

It's weird because yesterday it worked just fine. Perhaps it's something software related?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 420
Message 4 of 9

hi,

After you cleaned the RAM slots, are you still getting a black screen when testing the two RAM after reseating it multiple times?

I don't have a Y580 here for testing but looking at page 41 of the Y580 HMM, it's advised that the card must
be installed in SLOT-0 (lower slot) and not in SLOT-1 (upper slot) when servicing the unit with a single memory module (didn't say what will happen if you use it on the upper slot though).

I don't think the problem is software related (firmware) since it worked previously but you can try to boot into the BIOS by pressing F2 on power up then hit F9 to load default settings (hardware configuration) then hit F10 to save and exit and observe. If this doesn't fix it then there's likely a problem with the memory slot.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 415
Message 5 of 9

I would run memory diagnostics on each of the module to be sure they're ok. Booting is not a test of good ram. Ram is addressed and used differently in comibinations. Oxidation is a possibility but they're gold plated for that reason.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Leftovers
Paper Tape
Views: 395
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the advice guys. 

For clarification: The laptop only boots normally (with screen on) when I put 1 ram stick in the bottom slot. It doesn't matter which ram stick. If I put in both ram sticks in the laptop, it boots, but with a black screen (in both orders). Putting 1 stick in the top slot also results in black screen. 

Also did bios reset, with no results. 

I've ran the standard memory diagnostic test from windows for both the ram sticks seperately in the bottom slot. (don't know about any other tests)

No errors were found from these tests.

So I guess the top memory slot suddenly broke after a night...

I also have another persisting problems with this laptop I didn't mention before. This problem existed for more than a month before this RAM problem.

The problem is that the laptop won't work on AC power when I plug it in after the laptop is on. So when I work on battery, and plug the AC-power in, it won't charge my battery at all. 

But I can work on AC power if I remove the battery and then power up my laptop. After my laptop is on I can put in my battery to charge it. 

Of course I can boot my laptop and work with it on battery power, but I just can't charge it directly afterwards. 

Might this be a relating problem?

If not any way to fix my top memory slot?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 382
Message 7 of 9

hi,

I don't think the battery charging issue is related to the RAM slot issue but If you're getting a Plugged In Not Charging error message in Windows when charging the battery then the problem might be similar to this thread. Try the solution that was posted there and observe.

As for the RAM slot, yeah it may have just went faulty after a night but it maybe worth checking this article if you can get the unit to boot by applying pressure on the RAM into the faulty slot.

Regards

Leftovers
Paper Tape
Views: 376
Message 8 of 9

Nope that didn't work either. 

Can a repair shop (easily) fix this problem? To what extent can you actually replace a rom slot?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 362
Message 9 of 9

hi,

It's possible that a professional computer repair center can repair the RAM slot as they have the tools for a board level repair (since the RAM slots are soldered on the mainboard, they'll likely gonna do a reflow to resolder the damaged DIMM slot).

If they can't repair it then you will need a new motherboard (I would check also this option especially if it'll be more cost effective to just replace the entire thing).

Y580 mainboards on Ebay

Video Disassembly Guide (this is for the Y480 which is similar to the Y580)

Regards

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors