11-13-2012 12:47 PM - edited 11-13-2012 12:48 PM
I'm desperate. Reinstalled windows aprox. 15 times, but can't merge SSD and HDD drives!
Tried to seperate SSD in 200MB System Partition + ~31,8GB unallocated space. Installed win 7 pro on unallocated space and then installed all drivers. Finally successful ran rapiddrive.exe, but discs merged. Everytime when I run rapiddrivetool.exe I'm getting error message: Run Failure!!!!!
In one prev. installation I tried to run rapiddrive before installing any else driver, and got error: Windows Error Recovery. Windows failed to start... Error code: 0xc0000225...
The OKR button also doesn't work anymore. Read the reason could be changed partition size.
My HDD looks like ~880GB unallocated space, untouched Lenovo (D: ) and untouched Lenovo_part drive.
It may not be possible to the official lenovo website no one knows how to solve the problem on both HDD and SSD + to merge.
Is somewhere a confirmed step by step guide to installing windows 7 proffesional on y580 SSD + HDD with rapiddrive?
Please dear community, I need urgent help.
My spec.: Y580 59-3491, I7 3630QM, 1TB HDD, 32GB SDD
11-13-2012 09:31 PM
11-18-2012 03:01 AM
11-25-2012 07:59 PM - edited 11-26-2012 02:33 AM
Hello, I did it myself on Lenovo Y560 with OEM Win7 home premium 64 bit.
Hybrid drive "sandisk ssd32GB+500GB Harddrive"
This is how I did. I've tried so many time til I successed. Hope this could help u.
1. creat windows 7 image DVD disc by OneKeyRecovery
2. Backup all important data (pic,music,work,etc...) to external hard drive.
3. Download Y560 Driver and software from Lenovo web and save them to external hard drive. (choose only 64bit)
1. Install SSD32GB on PCI-e port ( near by W-LAN card.)
2. Turn on and press F2 to enter BIOS setup.
- set boot sequence from DVDrom->IDE0->IDE1 (IDE0 is SSD 32GB, IDE1 is existing 500GB hard drive)
3. Restart and boot with Windows 7 image DVD disc to install new win7
4. Delete both disk0 and disk1 (disks will be unallocated)
5. Choose SSD 32GB disk to install windows 7 on....
6. After win7 is installed..the system reboot then.. install all Y560 driver and software. (you can see only drive c: with 4-7 GB free space of all 32GB )
7. you might have to restart many time for all driver & lenovo software installation.
Backing up SSD 32GB once for sure:
1. use windows Restore & Backup to backup SSD32 GB as image file (for accidently crash) to external hard drive.
2. beleive me..you've gotta use it and help you save times if the installation was fail.
1. choose properties on computer short cut ..you can see OEM key.. just reenter existing win7 key (sticker is attached under notebook) to activated win7 (internet connection required).
2. Turn off automatic windows update.... the reason is very important... it could make change something on SSD.. and make it unable to boot again on the next restart.. and SSD image backup is the hero now.. we can recover SSD back easily , no need to install win7 and their driver anymore..
Merge Harddrive to SSD :1
1. open file "setup.exe" in c:\windows\drivers\rapiddrive... follow the step until finish...
2. Restart windows again.. now ,Drive C: should be around 490 GB space instead of 32GB space... SSD and HD was merged as one disk c:
3. open disk manager.. you can see disk0 as drive c:500GB and disk1 as empty disk.
If you can't install window 7 on SSD ,though it was unallocated or even can't see SSD .. try these step.
1. boot with win7 disc or etc...
2. open command windows.
3. type "diskpart"
4. type "list disk" to scan all disk installed on your pc..
now you can see what disk is ssd . which one is HD (for example... Disk 0 SSD 32 )
5. type " select disk 0 " to focus on SSD
6. type "clean" to clear ssd
7. type " select disk 1" to focus on HD
8. type "clean" to clear HD
9. type" exit"
IMPORTANT: There's one thing that make me feel headache while installation is..... everything seem to be work just fine. But after I installed many application and play with win7.. I turned off and restart again..
Windows can not boot correctly as usual. Pc can not find SSD boot record to start win7 and it boot with hidden system image and goto recovery mode instead.
I have faced this problem a few time after finish everything. This make me have to reinstall everything again. waste lot of time. I don't know why but there're somthing wrong with SSD boot record or Rapiddrive driver. Guess that it was modified something on SSD. So I think the problem happened whenever I activated win7 with oem product key and let win7 updated automatically many time. The point is updating automatically. It changed something on SSD and make PC can not boot from. So I have to use "diskpart" to clear everything and reinstall again and use windows recovery to install ssd image from external harddrive back to ssd. (no need to install win7 again)
01-19-2013 11:54 PM
I get the same problem when I accidentally deleted my OKR drive, I don't mind that but, now the problem is, after installing a windows 7 Home Premium by an unofficial windows ISO, I just can't merge my partitions without getting the recovery error and I have a 32gb ssd so I can't keep it as a seperate drive
Please show me a way out:
PS: I doubt the problem is not with windows activation OEM product key or update, coz in my last try, I didn't activate my windows and had the windows update set to "Never Check For Updates"
01-31-2013 07:00 PM
" I just can't merge my partitions without getting the recovery error"
You mean when you merge harddrive and SSD . you'd get the recovery error? if yes , I don't know but be sure you did follow the step correctly.
"I have a 32gb ssd so I can't keep it as a seperate drive"
As long as you have 32GB SSD and Harddrive, Both drive were seperated physically. Why did you have to keep it seperate drive?
02-09-2013 01:14 AM
yes i get the recovery error on merging the hdd and ssd, and i did follow all the steps correctly, tried it quite a few times
by seperate, i meant to install windows on the ssd itself and not merging it with hdd to make a hybrid drive to prevent the recovery error, but 32 gb is too small for my work, i get only 3-4gb free space after windows installation and drivers installation
02-10-2013 06:53 AM