cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wlaio
Punch Card
Views: 2,795
Message 1 of 29

Lenovo Y580 HDD + SSD installing Win 7 Pro issue.

Hi everybody.

I am new to the forum, so yesterday I got my first Lenovo Y580 59-3491, I7 3630QM, 1TB HDD, 32GB SDD bought laptop. The laptop came pre-installed Win7 Home Premium 64x. Then I tried to install Win 7 Pro 64x and have followed the instructions because (SSD + HDD) on the page -> http://support.lenovo.com/en_IL/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=12870415982811

Everything was fine until 2 (2) Step Reinstall Windows

After run "RapidDriveTool.exe", restart the computer, and boot from Windows installation DVD. Select SSD disk to install Windows. The disk 0 is the SSD disk. You may need to re-create the partitions in SSD. The following screenshot is for demo only, and the partitioning may be different from yours.

I have almost the same partitions, except the type OEM (Reserved).

That's why I (as described) have deleted "Disk 0 Partition 2", then I clicked on New and nothing happens! I cannot go on Next and continue with the process. When I click on the message, then it says: Windows cannot be install to the disk ....

Link to picture

Link to picture

I cannot install Windows and unfortunately I have created no Win 7 Home Premium Repair Disk. But I have an older Windows 7 Pro PrepairDisk.

The OKR button still works, just OneKey Recovery cannot be created because I have no backup and there is an error message.

Link to picture

On boot without Win 7 Boot Disc I get this error message.

Link to picture

So, what can I do in this situation?

In various forums I have seen that the problem probably could somehow be solve with OKR 7 EE. Is this true?

Sorry for the bad image quality.

Since I unfortunately do not know what to do in case I hope/please for your help.

Best regards.

Lenart

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

msrkanurag
Punch Card
Views: 2,768
Message 2 of 29

Re: Lenovo Y580 HDD + SSD installing Win 7 Pro issue.

You need to make the SSD partition as active. It will work then.

Use diskpart to do it.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,757
Message 3 of 29

Hi wlaio

First of all please remove the ssd for once and then install windows 7(or factory reset) if poosible. Then convert the mbr disk to a gpt disk(ssd) using this guide

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26193-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-disk.html

Then see if while installing windows ssd same error comes. 
For the okr eror, you will have to revert back to default partition sizes. 

And the boot windows without cd erro because of rapid drive tool

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
wlaio
Punch Card
Views: 2,745
Message 4 of 29

msrkanurag:

you mean, when I make SSD as active, then it will be possible to continue the installation windows 7 or must be done before anything else? Thanks.

wlaio
Punch Card
Views: 2,744
Message 5 of 29

Hi ishaan, you mean physically remove the SSD? Is SSD the unallocated space in my case? I think this will not be a good option, because of the warranty... Isn't there a simpler solution? What about Onekey Recovery 7.0 Engineering -> http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/Disk-Partitioning-and-OneKey-Recovery-Feature/...
Thank you.
wlaio
Punch Card
Views: 2,743
Message 6 of 29

What about creating Partition Magic Bootable DVD and try to solve it with this tool? Thank you guys.
msrkanurag
Punch Card
Views: 2,721
Message 7 of 29

Since you have no OS right now, you have 2 options.
1. If you have another computer at home or can use your friend's, make a live cd of windows 7 and use the steps in the guide.

2. Or you can install the OS on some HDD partition and use the guide, come back and install win 7 back on SSD. I know this is lengthy but still.

You need to convert your SSD to MBR.
wlaio
Punch Card
Views: 2,711
Message 8 of 29

I will try option 1. I can make a win 7 live dvd - "...and use the steps in the guide." Just put it in my laptop and run?

How do I convert SSD to MBR?

Thanks msrkanurag.
Highlighted
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,710
Message 9 of 29

Hi
Follow below guide for converting to mbr
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26193-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-disk.html
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
msrkanurag
Punch Card
Views: 2,689
Message 10 of 29

Once in Windows 7, use the elevated command prompt( Right click on CMD and run as admin)

1. Type "diskpart"

2. type "list disk"

3. You'll see all your disks (Disk 0 will be your SSD)

4. Type "Select Disk 0"

5. Type "convert mbr"

All without quotes and press enter after each step.

Try installing Windows 7 on SSD after following the steps. It should work.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors