cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wlaio
Punch Card
Views: 2,946
Message 21 of 29

Re: Lenovo Y580 HDD + SSD installing Win 7 Pro issue.

Tried to allocate and ran rapiddrive and it's still not merged. I don't know what to do anymore.
wlaio
Punch Card
Views: 2,931
Message 22 of 29

I'm desperate. Reinstalled windows aprox. 15 times, but can't merge SSD and HDD drives!

Tried to seperate SSD in 200MB System Partition + ~31,8GB unallocated space. Installed win 7 pro on unallocated space and then installed all drivers. Finally successful ran rapiddrive.exe, but discs merged. Everytime when I run rapiddrivetool.exe I'm getting error message: Run Failure!!!!!

In one prev. installation I tried to run rapiddrive before installing any else driver, and got error: Windows Error Recovery. Windows failed to start... Error code: 0xc0000225...

The OKR button also doesn't work anymore. Read the reason could be changed partition size.

My HDD looks like ~880GB unallocated space, untouched Lenovo (D: ) and untouched Lenovo_part drive.

It may not be possible to the official lenovo website no one knows how to solve the problem on both HDD and SSD + to merge.

Is somewhere a confirmed step by step guide to installing windows 7 proffesional on y580 SSD + HDD with rapiddrive?

Please dear community, I need urgent help.

My spec.: Y580 59-3491, I7 3630QM, 1TB HDD, 32GB SDD

Highlighted
ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,915
Message 23 of 29

From the 880 GB unallocated space make a system partition. See okr button works.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
wlaio
Punch Card
Views: 2,842
Message 24 of 29

Now (somehow) the OKR button works without formating the unallocated space on HDD.

Once more reinstalled windows 7 pro, but still cannot make a hybrid ssd & hdd c: drive. What can I do anymore?

Please help.
Ratthanin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,802
Message 25 of 29

Hello, I did it myself on Lenovo Y560 with OEM Win7 home premium 64 bit.
Hybrid drive "sandisk ssd32GB+500GB Harddrive"
This is how I did. I've tried so many time til I successed. Hope this could help u.

-------------

Preparation:
1. creat windows 7 image DVD disc by OneKeyRecovery
2. Backup all important data (pic,music,work,etc...) to external hard drive.
3. Download Y560 Driver and software from Lenovo web and save them to external hard drive. (choose only 64bit)

-------------------

Installation:
1. Install SSD32GB on PCI-e port ( near by W-LAN card.)
2. Turn on and press F2 to enter BIOS setup.
- set boot sequence from DVDrom->IDE0->IDE1 (IDE0 is SSD 32GB, IDE1 is existing 500GB hard drive)
3. Restart and boot with Windows 7 image DVD disc to install new win7
4. Delete both disk0 and disk1 (disks will be unallocated)
5. Choose SSD 32GB disk to install windows 7 on....
6. After win7 is installed..the system reboot then.. install all Y560 driver and software. (you can see only drive c: with 4-7 GB free space of all 32GB )
7. you might have to restart many time for all driver & lenovo software installation.
------------
Backing up SSD 32GB once for sure:
1. use windows Restore & Backup to backup SSD32 GB as image file (for accidently crash) to external hard drive.
2. beleive me..you've gotta use it and help you save times if the installation was fail.
------------
Activate windows:
1. choose properties on computer short cut ..you can see OEM key.. just reenter existing win7 key (sticker is attached under notebook) to activated win7 (internet connection required).
2. Turn off automatic windows update.... the reason is very important... it could make change something on SSD.. and make it unable to boot again on the next restart.. and SSD image backup is the hero now.. we can recover SSD back easily , no need to install win7 and their driver anymore..
------------
Merge Harddrive to SSD :1
1. open file "setup.exe" in c:\windows\drivers\rapiddrive... follow the step until finish...
2. Restart windows again.. now ,Drive C: should be around 490 GB space instead of 32GB space... SSD and HD was merged as one disk c:
3. open disk manager.. you can see disk0 as drive c:500GB and disk1 as empty disk.
--------------
Finish..

Hint. 

If you can't install window 7 on SSD ,though it was unallocated or even can't see SSD .. try these step.

1. boot with win7 disc or etc... 

2. open command windows.

3.  type "diskpart"

4. type "list disk" to scan all disk installed on your pc..

now you can see what disk is ssd . which one is HD  (for example...  Disk 0  SSD 32 )

5. type " select disk 0 " to focus on SSD

6. type "clean" to clear ssd

7. type " select disk 1" to focus on HD

8. type "clean" to clear HD

9. type" exit"

IMPORTANT:  There's one thing that make me feel headache while installation is..... everything seem to be work just fine. But after I installed many application and play with win7..  I turned off and restart again..

Windows can not boot correctly as usual.  Pc can not find SSD boot record to start win7 and it boot with hidden system image and goto recovery mode instead.

I have faced this problem a few time after finish everything.  This make me have to reinstall everything again. waste lot of time.  I don't know why but there're somthing wrong with SSD boot record or Rapiddrive driver. Guess that it was modified something on SSD.  So I think the problem happened whenever I activated win7 with oem product key and let win7 updated automatically many time. The point is updating automatically. It changed something on SSD and make PC can not boot from. So I have to use "diskpart" to clear everything and reinstall again and use windows recovery to install ssd image from external harddrive back to ssd. (no need to install win7 again)

Thank.

diskmanage.JPG

jytmsh121
Paper Tape
Views: 2,560
Message 26 of 29

I get the same problem when I accidentally deleted my OKR drive, I don't mind that but, now the problem is, after installing a windows 7 Home Premium by an unofficial windows ISO, I just can't merge my partitions without getting the recovery error and I have a 32gb ssd so I can't keep it as a seperate drive
Please show me a way out:

PS: I doubt the problem is not with windows activation OEM product key or update, coz in my last try, I didn't activate my windows and had the windows update set to "Never Check For Updates"

Ratthanin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,501
Message 27 of 29

Hi, 

" I just can't merge my partitions without getting the recovery error" 

You mean when you merge harddrive and SSD . you'd get the recovery error?  if yes , I don't know but be sure you did follow the step correctly.

"I have a 32gb ssd so I can't keep it as a seperate drive"

As long as you have 32GB SSD and Harddrive, Both drive were seperated physically. Why did you have to keep it seperate drive?  

jytmsh121
Paper Tape
Views: 2,459
Message 28 of 29

1st question:

yes i get the recovery error on merging the hdd and ssd, and i did follow all the steps correctly, tried it quite a few times

2nd question:

by seperate, i meant to install windows on the ssd itself and not merging it with hdd to make a hybrid drive to prevent the recovery error, but 32 gb is too small for my work, i get only 3-4gb free space after windows installation and  drivers installation

Ratthanin
Paper Tape
Views: 2,435
Message 29 of 29

I don't know why recovery error occur after drive merging. And for 2nd answer you wrote. If i don't misunderstand, you are now installed windows on ssd and still keep SSD separate from HDD. (drive c : and dSmiley Happy .
I tell you the truth, i did the same way you did. To prevent SSD from being modified and became unbootable. I keep both drive separate until now. Just install win7 system and drive on SSD. You will have around 4-7 gb free space. And i installed others application on HHD (drive dSmiley Happy instead. Also my document folder , system temporary folder and everything to d:. This will keep your SSD free space . The system run fine, fast boot and reliable.
In the other hand. I think we are on the same situation. still want to merge, but it's alright to be separate drive finally.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors