Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-13-2012

Malaysia

2 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Y580 HDMI issue

2012-12-13, 4:37 AM

I have just got a new Y580 lappy. Every thing is working fine. Except one problem, when I hook up HDMI cable to TV, it doesn't detect the TV. I've tried with another lappy, HDMI and TV works fine. Means the problem lies with the laptop. No matter what, there is no HDMI output. According to Lenovo Customer Service, I am to try wth OEM graphic driver, so I downloaded and installed the first driver ( Intel HD graphics ). After driver installation, prior restarting the laptop, I manage to detect my TV in Display control panel. However, when I use "switch to projector" display, there is still no display on the TV. After a restart, the HDMI doesn't even detect my TV anymore.

What is the problem? Purely Driver? Or Hardware? If it is hardware, I would have to send it in for warranty claim. Laptop is currently 2 days old. Haha.

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4459 Signins

274727 Page Views

• Views: 274727
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y580 HDMI issue

2012-12-18, 21:50 PM

hi shinkosensei,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community.

Try the following:

1. Boot into the BIOs by pressing F2 (Fn+F2 on some cases)

2. When you're in, go to the Configuration Tab and change Graphic Device to Discrete Graphics (see spoiler for image - credits goes to this link)

switchable graphics.jpg

3. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

4. Make sure your TV is set to HDMI mode and connect the HDMI cable to the PC and into the TV.

5. Press the windows key.JPG key+P or Fn+F3 to extend / clone the display.

The reason you made this change is because this computer have dual-graphics cards and in the setting above, you told the computer to use the discrete graphics (this is to ensure that the OS will re-route the video source on 1 videocard only).

If this doesn't work, the HDMI port might be faulty and I recommend you contact Lenovo for service. Support phone list here.

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

1 Posts

12-25-2012

Gliwice

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 3 of 6

2012-12-25, 2:51 AM

Hello my problem is that i haven't got "discrete graphics" option to chose. Only Switchable graphics and UMA graphics

Options

2 Posts

02-23-2013

Poland, Warsaw

7 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-02-23, 18:12 PM

Hi dicoj

I had the similar problem as you have - after connecting TV display through HDMI cable nothing did happen.

And I was certain, that I checked it previously and it worked...

Downgrading drivers of my HD 4000 helped.

There's also a discussion on Intel community regarding this subject, which I think, is related:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/34051

Options

2 Posts

02-23-2013

Poland, Warsaw

7 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 5 of 6

2013-04-07, 16:09 PM

I was wrong, apparently :smileyfrustrated:

Now I see that TV gets connected via HDMI after upgrade/downgrade of the HD4000 drivers only till I restart my laptop.

After restart - external display doesn't even get detected, whatever resolution or mode (extend, duplicate) I try.

Still - issue is not resolved :/

Options

2 Posts

06-17-2014

Canada

1 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 6 of 6

2014-06-17, 1:38 AM

Created an account just to share the solution with everyone.

Note this is using Windows 8.1. Results may vary with other versions.

The HDMI Not Working for Lenovo Y580 FIX:

Assuming you have the HDMI connected to the TV from your laptop during the entire process:

1. Restart to your computer's UEFI Firmware Settings (or BIOS Setup Utility; whatever it's called).
    Don't know how to get there? This might help: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20256-uefi-firmware-settings-boot-inside-windows-8-a.html
  2. Look for the setting called "Graphic Device". Set it to "UMA" (if it already is for whatever reason, go to step 5)
  3. Save changes and Exit. Fully boot back up. (shortcuts don't work)
  4. Follow the process again to restart to computer's UEFI Firmware Settings again
  5. Look for the setting called "Graphic Device" and set it back to "Switchable Graphics"
  6. Save changes and Exit. Fully boot back up
  7. During log-in or early bootup, your computer screen might blink. Set your projection type/setting and you're done.

How does it work?!

In Short: When you switch from Switchable Graphics to UMA, the computer boots up without the Nvidia; just the Intel graphics card. Then when you restart again with Switchable Graphics, Nvidia kicks back in, this time with HDMI functioning properly.

Details: Just like Thereo, I noticed the HDMI output started working after I upgraded my graphics driver (my Nvidia to be exact). The key to recognize here is that when you upgrade your driver, the respective device is removed and reset (to some degree). When that happens, the HDMI output feature becomes functional again.

However, restarting your computer will revert it back to its dysfunctional state.

So I tried a number of methods to restart the Nvidia driver, and have concluded: the most convenient way is the process shown above. Sadly, Device Manager -> Disable -> Enable doesn't seem to cut it.

Some FYI's:

Enjoy your dual screen,

-Zethros

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms