Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Message 1 of 13 (13,056 Views)

Lenovo Y580 Power Problem

Dear Lenovo,

I have encountered an odd power problem on my Lenovo Y580, running Windows 7 Ultimate, and need your help.

I had been having a problem with the laptop battery burning through the last 50% of its reported power in about 5 minutes (to which tech support told me I should do a battery gauge reset, http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y580-Battery-Does-Not-Hold-Charge/m-p/94497...).  I finally did that and it has made the situation worse.

The battery reset was done last night, with the laptop plugged in the entire time.  Once the battery was powered down, though, the machine stayed off.  I could not power back on the Y580 afterwards.  When I removed the battery and tried to turn on the computer using the AC power supply only, it also would not turn on.

I attempted the solution I mentioned here (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y580-Battery-Plugged-In-and-Not-Charging/m-...) but it still did not work.  Eventually I was able to power up the computer by disconnecting the AC power from the computer, disconnecting the AC power from the wall, removing the battery, letting the computer rest for a minute, then plugging in the AC power, but leaving the battery out and pressing the on button.  If I then power down the computer, and attempt to replace the battery, the computer will not turn on and I have to repeat the process mentioned above.  If the computer is running on AC power and I plug in the battery (yes, while it is on, which one should not do), it will charge.  However, if I disconnect the AC power during charging and reconnect it, the battery will no longer charge, and the computer will shut down after the battery runs out, even though the AC power is connected the entire time.  The computer cannot be powered on again then until I repeat the above procedure.

What is the problem and how do I fix it?  I have never had so much trouble with a laptop, its battery, and its power supply as with the Y580.

Paper Tape
Message 2 of 13 (12,993 Views)

Betreff: Lenovo Y580 Power Problem

I have the same problem too. And it is always the same situation. After a battery reset nearly nothing works. I will send my Y580 back to my dealer but this isn´t a solution for the problem. Maybe Lenovo could issue a statement. Good luck with your Y580. 

By the way a Bios-patch did not solve the problem for me.. =(

Serial Port
Message 3 of 13 (12,947 Views)

Re: Lenovo Y580 Power Problem

It looks like my problem is the same as in this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/Y580-doesn-t-charge-and-doesn-t-detect-the-....

Lenovo- do you have a solution?

If anyone is reading this, I don't suggest using the battery gauge reset option.  It just messes up the laptop's charger detection capability.

Serial Port
Message 4 of 13 (12,902 Views)

The problem still exists, despite my uninstalling and reinstalling Lenovo's power management software.

To recap, after doing a battery gauge reset because the battery was draining the last 50% of its life so quickly, there is now a problem with the Y580 detecting when the AC adapter is plugged in.  If the battery has charge, it will discharge until it runs out of power, even if the AC adapter is plugged in.  If I remove the battery, I can run the laptop off AC power, but only after unplugging the AC adapter from the wall outlet first.  While on AC power, I can put in the battery to begin charging it; but if I unplug the AC adapter and plug it back in, the Y580 does not appear to detect the AC adapter and no longer charges the battery.

Does anyone have a solution?

Serial Port
Message 5 of 13 (12,858 Views)

bump- still awaiting a response

Former Employee
Message 6 of 13 (12,832 Views)

Hi Astroceltica,

Thanks for posting. 

Sorry to hear about the issues you're facing with your machine. After reading through this thread I was wondering if the Windows installed on your machine was it preloaded with the /ultimate or you installed it yourself. Anotheing I'd like to know is that if your machine was preloaded with windows, Did u manage to do a OneKey recovery towards the machine? It may be worth the try though.

I can 'really say  waht exactly is causing this but I would suggest to do the following if you have not done so.

1) Take out the battery, and disconnect the ac from the Laptop. Hit the power button repeatedly for 30 secs and reconnect back the battery.

2) Do a Lenovo power management update

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS029705

3)update the Intel management firmware Engine

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS027796

Another thingI'd like to check under " Lenovo Energy Management" is the battery set to "Fully charged mode or Battery protection mode.

Do let me know how it goes.

Regards

Paper Tape
Message 7 of 13 (12,814 Views)

NINE wrote:

Hi Astroceltica,

Thanks for posting. 

Sorry to hear about the issues you're facing with your machine. After reading through this thread I was wondering if the Windows installed on your machine was it preloaded with the /ultimate or you installed it yourself. Anotheing I'd like to know is that if your machine was preloaded with windows, Did u manage to do a OneKey recovery towards the machine? It may be worth the try though.

I can 'really say  waht exactly is causing this but I would suggest to do the following if you have not done so.

1) Take out the battery, and disconnect the ac from the Laptop. Hit the power button repeatedly for 30 secs and reconnect back the battery.

2) Do a Lenovo power management update

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS029705

3)update the Intel management firmware Engine

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS027796

Another thingI'd like to check under " Lenovo Energy Management" is the battery set to "Fully charged mode or Battery protection mode.

Do let me know how it goes.

Regards

I have exactly the same problem only am I running windows 8 (Upgraded it the 26th of october)

Everything ran well, untill yesterday when I did the battery calibration in the Lenovo Energy Management.

It went to 0% and never booted again. Since then it will not grab power from the adapter untill I turn it off, take the battery out and also remove it from the wall. Then I can plug it in again and boot without the battery. I put that in later, and everything works fine. I am 100% up to date with all drivers, including the new BIOS from 06-01-2013. Is there a way to fix this? Would a full reïnstall help?

Serial Port
Message 8 of 13 (12,794 Views)

Hi NINE,

Back in September I had reformatted my machine and cleanly installed Windows 7 Ultimate- the machine had been working fine until recently, when the issue of my battery losing power quickly became a problem and I was advised to do the battery gauge reset, which has caused the latest, more serious problem.  With regards to your suggestions:

1)  I tried this several times and it does not work.

2)  I previously uninstalled/reinstalled the Lenovo Energy Management software and the problem remains.

3)  Actually, my Intel Management Firmware is updated to a MORE recent version than in the link you supplied, and so it won't update to the version you have linked.

4)  The battery problem persists, regardless of whether it is in fully charged mode or battery protection mode.

I have telephoned tech support, and they have requested that I send in my machine, battery, and power supply.  For iAdema and others with the same problem, I suggest you do the same.

Former Employee
Message 9 of 13 (12,772 Views)

Hi all,

Thanks for posting. 

As Astroceltica has pointed out, there was alot that was done and still the problem remain. With this being said as Astroceltica has suggested I believe it will be best to contact our service team to get this checked out.

Please do contact our service team to get this checked out as this does look like a battery replace will be needed but at this point I'm only assuming.

Please do post back you rresults after you have your system checked by our service team.

Regards

Paper Tape
Message 10 of 13 (12,245 Views)

I have the same problem. Today I am sending back my y580 to warranty service. I'm hope they fix that problem.

Top kudoed Authors