Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prizeless
Paper Tape
Views: 408
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Y580 Won't Turn On

Hello,

My Y580 is less than a year old and still under warranty. It has been working great this whole time, but recently I shut the computer down and then when I tried to turn it back on it wouldn't turn on. The keyboard backlight comes on, but I don't hear the fans spinning and the screen is blank. I have tried taking the battery out and holding down the power button for 2 minutes and then attempting to turn it on using ac power only and it won't turn on. I've also attempted to connect an external monitor and nothing there either. The machine is completely unresponsive except for the keyboard light coming on and the cd drive making a noise like it is initializing.

I have tried to turn it on and off repeatedly and it is the same problem everytime. Not sure what else to try. Any idea what might be going on?

Lenovo Y580

Core i7 and GTX660M

slmslmn
What's DOS?
Views: 378
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Y580 Won't Turn On

My Y580 goes through a cycle of auto-on/crash to the point where it can't be booted anymore. 

This happens when its solely on battery(no DC power). But its been a long time that I've encounterd this as my 'fix' was to keep the laptop plugged in always or take out the battery when theres no power.

I thought if the lid was shut, the auto power-on/shut cycle won't happen, and gave it a try.

After ~2days it wouldn't power on! I tried taking out the HDD & powering on.

Previously a msg: "No bootable Device" would appear, this time nothing showed! I came to this forum, did the 35seconds thing, nothing happened! I panicked, mulling servicing. In final desperation, I increased the 30 seconds to  > 1 minute. It worked! hopefully things would be smooth from now.

prizeless
Paper Tape
Views: 361
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Y580 Won't Turn On

@slmslmn wrote:

My Y580 goes through a cycle of auto-on/crash to the point where it can't be booted anymore. 

This happens when its solely on battery(no DC power). But its been a long time that I've encounterd this as my 'fix' was to keep the laptop plugged in always or take out the battery when theres no power.

I thought if the lid was shut, the auto power-on/shut cycle won't happen, and gave it a try.

After ~2days it wouldn't power on! I tried taking out the HDD & powering on.

Previously a msg: "No bootable Device" would appear, this time nothing showed! I came to this forum, did the 35seconds thing, nothing happened! I panicked, mulling servicing. In final desperation, I increased the 30 seconds to  > 1 minute. It worked! hopefully things would be smooth from now.

Hi what is the 35 seconds method? Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors