09-22-2012 07:01 PM
I know this is a redundant topic, but i looked through numerous threads, and I cannot find any substantial aid for newbies like me.
I bought a 64 gb mSATA III SSD, physically attached it into my laptop, and saw that the disk is available on Device Manager.
Now my trouble is getting the mSSD to work as a cache--I tried setting the boot priority to the mSSD over the HDD, but nothing happened. Also downloaded VeloSSD trial, but the mSSD is not even available as an option to accelerate, and even if it was there, I do not think it would work, as the mSSD is not even being used as a cache on the laptop anyways. Do I need to wipe my HDD of all data? What will happen to the D: partition that contains the drivers? so lost @,@
09-22-2012 07:05 PM
THIS IS ONLY APPLICABLE IF YOU ARE CONFIGURING YOUR SETUP SSD AS A CACHE.
The msata SSD used is MyDigitalSSD 64GB 50mm Bullet Proof mSATA SSD - MDMS-5064.
I have read a number of threads in the net regarding about installation of the msata SSD into their Lenovo Y580. Intel Rapid Storage Tech (IRST) isn't working and it is not applicable to Y580 because the "Accelerate" feature is missing.
Here are the steps below:
- backup all your files and make a bootable disc just incase it will fail.
- Install the msata into the slot. You can access it at the back of your notebook by opening the 2-hole cover at the back.
- set the bios into AHCI and not to compatible.
- Boot into windows.
- download the software "VeloSSD" trial version 126.96.36.199 from softpedia and do not update to 188.8.131.52 or latest version. Note that the velossd 184.108.40.206 works well with my system. However the latest version will prompt me with error. I already asked the support for this software due to the problem I am experiencing.
- run and configure the software, yet the limitation of the software is upto 32GB only. However, when you buy it for $9.99 you can set a larger cache size.
- DONE -
Now with my current setup of Y580, I can boot windows 7 within 35secs based from EE boot optimizer.
09-22-2012 09:54 PM