Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cansat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,588
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Y580 optical problem

Hi there everyone,

So I will be quick about my problem to get straight to the point. I installed Windows 8 from Dreamspark to attempt to upgrade my system, maybe make it quicker. After installing the OS I had problems after problems, most notably performance was extremely terrible!

So I used my recovery DVDs to go back to Windows 7 Pro. Now, I updated all my drivers from Lenovo and Intel websites, as not all the Lenovo drivers seemed to work. 

I never noticed before, but my Optical light (digital sound, the red one on the right hand side 3.5mm jack) is always on. Im fairly good with computers, but nothing I do seems to turn it off. Is it supposed to be on? Seems rather useless if its always on.

I guess I am looking for assistance on this topic. I have tried disabling hardware, changing drivers...Out of ideas now. Any help is appreciated.

Lenovo Y580

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3610QM @ 2.30Ghz

8Gb RAM

500Gb HDD @ 7200rpm

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M graphics card

Thank you.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,574
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Y580 optical problem

hi cansat,

please, make sure you have downloaded the compatible drivers ( 32/64 bit windows). about your red light issue, it's because you couldn't install realtek drivers.

hope this helps.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
cansat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,538
Message 3 of 9

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. I have tried installing drivers from both (my system is running 64-bit) with no success. It tells me there is no compatible hardware to be installed.

I tried manually installing the drivers, I tried thirdparty downloads and I tried reformatting my system with my recovery dvds and nothing seems to work.

Any other suggestions?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,506
Message 4 of 9

do you have any anti-virus software? can you scan your computer first for the viruses?

cansat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,502
Message 5 of 9

Hi there,

Yep did that. I tried with McAffee, AVG and Norton. Nothing is detected. Its a strange scenario. The weird thing is that about two months ago I installed Windows 7 Home Premium from Dreamspark and everything worked flawlessly. Now, nothing will work. 

Its not so much that I mind the sound, but the optical light being on at all times cannot be good. Smiley Sad

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,498
Message 6 of 9

if you search the forum, you'll see that the red light issue is related to realtek drivers. which antivirus do you have now? all 3?

cansat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,489
Message 7 of 9

Currently I am using AVG as my anti virus. I never have more then one installed, of course, as it will create conflicts.

I am aware that the Realtek drivers are giving me the issues. Essentially thats the issue at hand. The driver installation will not recognize the Realtek device, hence my issue.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,480
Message 8 of 9

tried to install the drivers manually?

cansat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,466
Message 9 of 9

Okay,

I have succeeded in getting the drivers to work. I was about to attempt installing the drivers manually, but then I had the idea to try the XP drivers. BAM they worked. I have no idea why the XP drivers worked but the 7 or 8 drivers did not. 

Oh well, issue solved I guess!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors