Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

11-04-2013

Netherlands

29 Signins

395 Page Views

• Views: 395
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Y580 start up problem

2013-11-05, 0:44 AM

Hi all,

First of all I like to say in advance that I'm not a native english speaker, so bear with me ;).

(Some terms might be a bit off since my windows is installed with a different language).

So the problem,

I start my Lenovo Ideapad Y580 laptop, it goes past the bootscreen and then I get a Windows error recovery screen with the options, launch startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally.

Well starting windows normally I get the screen with "Starting windows" but without the windows logo, to windows is loading files to a old school windows loading bar which brings me to.. a black screen.

Same goes for the launch startup repair. It does not do anything once I get at the black screen. (I waited 10 min atleast)

I try a few startups while I search for an answer online, then suddenly i get to sytem recovery options,

system restore gives me the error code 0x80070002.

I choose startup repair it does it thing and says it has to reboot. Well alright i thought, I might get off the hook, no such luck unfortunaly.

The following restart I get this beauty

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.1.1.1(12/23/11)

Check cable connection!

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press key

I try selecting another drive via F12, the boot device selection menu, same error.

And thats where I am now, with no idea what to do next. Can somebody please help me?

Options

792 Posts

07-25-2013

Australia

678 Signins

9430 Page Views

• Views: 9430
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Y580 start up problem

2013-11-05, 1:05 AM

Do you have a SSD used as a cache?

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
Options

12 Posts

11-04-2013

Netherlands

29 Signins

395 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2013-11-05, 1:19 AM

Thanks for your quick reaction, but I probably should have added that I am a bit of a noob with anything more than well... msconfig.

So I dont really know what you mean, sorry.

I can say that I do have a SSD where my windows and other things are installed on and I never altered anything drive wise (as far as I know atleast).

And some further info, I get these options at the Boot Manager screen

Internal HDD: SAMSUNG MZMPC064HBDR-000L1

SATA HDD: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB

SATA ODD: Optiarc BD ROM BC-5550H

Netwok Boot: Atheros Boot Agent

Options

792 Posts

07-25-2013

Australia

678 Signins

9430 Page Views

• Views: 9430
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-11-05, 1:42 AM

Hmm that's weird. I don't think Y580 ever came with 64GB SSD. Could anybody from staff confirm that?

Being unable to boot points to few possibilities. If you're lucky it's just a broken MBR or GPT (boot and partition data). The other possibility is hardware failure of the drive. I'm no expert in this field, but I'll try to help according to my experience. It would be a good idea to wait for some more opinions regarding this case and do some reading before taking any actions.

If it's the former, there are ways to fix it. I'm not familiar with Win8, so the following is for Win7:

As you cannot boot from your hard drive anyway you can try to rewrite MBR using Windows 7 disc. Boot it from the disc and use Recover Environment. In here, use command "bootrec /fixmbr". Note, that it is not the safest thing to do, and can corrupt the data on your drive. Make a backup if possible.

If you don't have any important data on the drive where you have your OS is, the easiest and fastest way would be to wipe this drive and reinstall the OS.

If you have One Key Recovery you can also try using it.

You said you're not too tech savvy, but I believe after some reading you could try booting live distribution of Linux to troubleshoot your drives. There are special distros for this purpose and also you could use general Linux distro like Ubuntu.

If your OS is on the SSD, and HDD is just used for storage, then you can use the live Linux distro to backup important data on HDD (or any other external drive), and then re-install the OS on your SSD.

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
Options

12 Posts

11-04-2013

Netherlands

29 Signins

395 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2013-11-05, 2:40 AM

Thank you again, I'll take your advice to wait and read some, now atleast I know in which directions I should look.

As far as live CDs for data recovery go i found http://redobackup.org/ which seems legit (no pun intented).

By the way I have Windows 7 as OS (can't believe I didnt mention that yet, sorry), so the advice was on mark.

I have made no partition for windows (stupid, certainly in hindsight) and my data that is on the same disk is of varied

(semi) importance so I'll consider my options for a while before acting.

Options

331 Posts

08-28-2013

United States of America

628 Signins

5793 Page Views

• Views: 5793
  • Message 6 of 6

2013-11-05, 6:33 AM

if you want to just see if your diks are okay in general you can try parted magic its  very good linux live cd tool for just stuff like this they have recently gone to a pay model though and dont host their latest file for free but the new one should work on a secure boot and uefi system which is what you should have minus the secure boot if your windows 7. also it might be your wifi card is going bad causing driver errors(most likely not your issue) you could allways try taking it out. http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y480_y580_hmm_1st_edition_mar_2012_english.pdf

I own a Y510p SLI (retired), Yoga 2 Pro, X220T, P50 4K (sold), X1C5
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms