cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garodr01
Paper Tape
Views: 934
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Y580 won't boot, only turns on and stays on black screen.

So I have a Lenovo Y580 Ideapad I bought circa 2013/14. I've kept it pretty updated and all since then. It had Windows 8 last time I was able to use it (a few months now sadly). Before this incident, it had already happened before but it would come back on after a few tries. One time it took a whole week of trying to turn it on and off and finally it just popped up again. But this previous time I accidently let it die (I always had it charging once this issue began because I was afraid it would die and do this) and it hasn't been able to boot. I've researched this issue and I've not been able to find one specific answer. So I decided to come here and have some seasoned techs look at my issue personally. I uploaded some videos on youtube in order for you all to get a look at it and what it does when I poke around at it. Also, Idk if it would be of any relevance, but before it died it had had a long standing issue of the touchpad not working. Occasionally it would twitch or work for a few minutes but it was mostly dead (the touchpad I mean). I was never able to fix it (also I just got lazy and bought a mouse).

Here is video #1 so you get a basic idea of **bleep** it's doing: https://youtu.be/FwVumwp7MFA

Here is video #2 of me poking around on it and doing the restart power thing (thass tha technical name right?) so you can see what it does and doesn't do:

https://youtu.be/FwVumwp7MFA

If there is any more info I can give please let me know. I want to try and fix this myself, and am confident I can (and I have friends who are good at this stuff too). If it's just impossible for me to fix, then let me know what you think I should do to restore my extremely expensive brick to working order again. Thanks you all for existing!

P.S.: I've also connected it to external monitor, and nothing shows up.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 899
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo Y580 won't boot, only turns on and stays on black screen.

Do you see your mouse pointer in this screen?

If so its a problen created by the Fast Startup feature of Windows 10. Video driver is old, not compatible with the system to work properly. You can disable Fast Startup which may fix it.

Its easier to get out of the issue on a desktop since I have one with that issue. Power, boot need to be interupted at least twice and then it will boot into a live screen. Hold the power button down to force the system off. If you have set it to have the machine go to sleep (you should not do that you may be out of luck).

Then went you turn it on again. Hold the button before it finishes booting to force another power off. After two three off cycles you may get it going. There are a number of articles on this feature. One is this - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Removing the battery may help resolving this at least until you can fix this.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

garodr01
Paper Tape
Views: 879
Message 3 of 4

Unfortunately I can't see the mouse on the black screen at all. The screen stays black, and hooking it up to HDMI output doesn't show anything either.

I tried force off and on several times and it doesn't fix it. 

previously this would work, but not in any predictable manner. It would just happen to boot on any of the random times I did that. Sometimes it would take 10 force shut offs. Sometimes it would take a week of coming home and doing it three times a day before it suddenly would boot. 

It's been about 4 months since it last was able to boot.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 857
Message 4 of 4

Well its impossible to assess a problem online.

Press the NOVO button and see if it goes to the menu for various features. If not you'll likely have to have a Tech look at it.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors