Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bartogr
What's DOS?
Views: 1,145
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo Y70-70 overheating?

Hello,

I just recently bought lenovo y70. I've been playing World of Tanks game to test the laptop performance, I noticed the fan went crazy.

I checked the temperatures of the components. GPU reached 90C, not sure if not more cause the prog Ive been using shows the temp up to 90C.

I noticed that due to the heat the fps are dropping.

Is there anything I should be worried about?
Perhaps I should have lenovo service to check the notebook?

Galadine
Paper Tape
Views: 913
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo Y70-70 overheating?

Overheating... you could say that... I'm also reaching unbelievably high temps: 185*F / 85*C

I use a cooling pad 100% of the time.  I suspect that's the only reason I'm not at 190* like you, bartogr!

At what point does my laptop and its components risk damage?  I have to think the threshold is considerbly cooler than the temps we're seeing on the Y70-70.  This is crazy... how can I test my laptop fan?  Is there any way to test the heat sink? or is that just something you have to pull out, re-heat-tape it and reseat it?

Guru
Views: 896
Message 3 of 5

1) Laptop CPU and GPUs are designed to withstand considerably more heat than desktop counterparts. CPU threshold is generally 100C and same for GPU.

2) Your laptop fan should be running and you should be able to hear it.

3) No, you cannot test the heat sink or the thermal paste. Either you or a technician has to open the laptop and disassemble it for a check.

Tips -

1) Check your ambient temp. If >30 then use airconditioning to lower it.

2) Do not push the laptop to the limits by playing on Very HIgh or Ultra settings. Benchmark your games with optimal settings that keep the temps under 80.

3) If you are comfortable doing this, then open the laptop back and occassionally clean the fan from dust.

I like to keep my temps below 80, lower is better but I feel like 80 is a good point.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Galadine
Paper Tape
Views: 880
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for responding.  The info is greatly appreciated.  

Temp here where I use the Y70-70 is a comfy 72*F / 22.2*C year 'round. I'll adjust my video settings I game on down a bit and see where that leads.

My fan is running - I can hear it.  The laptop has a setting to temporarily increase the fan to "blow" out any dust.  I've used that a few times.  So I know the fan has at least 2 speed/power settings.

I read somewhere that most laptop fan control is built into BIOS(?) and either increases speed or throttles down on associated temps and CPU loads/traffic.  I found a program by an independent developer which apparently will take control of thinkpad fans so you can run them on as high as is reasonble (presumably, that's higher than they're programmed to run, out-of-the-box).  It doesn't work on the Lenovo Y series, though.  

Any idea if there's a way to control the fan? ramp it up if it can be (without damaging it)?  Any built-in control or after-market app to take control of the fan (like the dust cleaning setting)?

Kind regards.

Guru
Views: 847
Message 5 of 5

I am not sure about this specific model but I have not encountered fan controls in BIOS within Lenovo laptops.

There was a utility once created called Ideafan but it was for Y510P - Check this post - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-y...

I cannot say that I have ever used that script and I do not have more idea about speeding up the fan.

Thanks.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors