Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 8 (42,340 Views)

Lenovo Z400 Battery Plugged in Not Charging Problem

[ Edited ]

Hi there everyone! I know that many of us here using the new z and p series ideapad have encountered this issue and some are still wrecking their brains, calling customer hotlines, searching the internet and trying all sorts of ways. I specially made an account to share my experience and solution with you all through an in depth explanation. Sorry for some broken english cos im singaporean and it has become a habit Smiley Tongue PLEASE READ THROUGH ALL OF IT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. and don't kpkb if it doesnt work because you didn't read it through.

What i did when i realised i had this problem: 

1. Check if the battery had a problem, but now the batteries are sealed inside the computer. Scratch that if u are too.

2. Check the Power Brick, plug out and plug the adapter back in, change the wall socket you are plugged into.

3. Restart the computer.

I believe this is what the majority of you have done. Then u call customer hot line, send to service center, still cannot find out the problem or they claim battery spoil, then you have to wait for too **bleep** long b4 it gets repaired. NO YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

Take these few steps to save yourself the time, money and whatever. Firstly go to this website: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Ideapad-Z400-or-Z500-battery-will-not-cha...

I shall elaborate on the steps since they do not. For everyone who is doing the steps, it requires the power brick to be on and for the laptop battery to show: PLUGGED IN, CHARGING. Should it say: PLUGGED IN, NOT CHARGING. You WILL get a internal failure when the patch is being applied. thus, in order to solve this, you can choose to do: 1. Run down the battery to low level bout 10%, then plug in the computer and charge. 2. Open lenovo energy management, go to battery gauge reset, and click start, this WILL enable charging while you are plugged in. 

Following that, start the patch for your battery, and hope it succeeds. It generally does. Smiley Happy if it enables your computer to charge past 60%( Note: this is what my computer normally charges to, then it says not charging) Then your problem is solved! Smiley Very Happy

IF IT DOES NOT! CRY IN DESPAIR! nah just kidding. Then you will know that it is not the battery's fault. For those of you poor souls out there, i will tell you now. it is... lenovo energy managements fault! Remember step 2? Yep, it is because of lenovo energy management software that has caused the battery to stop charging. SOOOO what do u do? OBVIOUSLY UNINSTALL THAT PIECE OF CRAP SCREWING YOUR LIFE. Lol. After uninstalling the program, run CCLEANER or similar software to get rid of the junk left behind, restart the computer and VOILA! Smiley Happy The computer should start charging without any delays! *CLAPCLAPCLAP* yes your computer will run just fine without the energy managemnet software, u can always clcik on the battery like thing at the bottom left of your taskbar to change your battery plans as well. just that you cannot have a cool looking menu and the dust cleaner function Smiley Tongue

HOPE THIS HAS SOLVED YOUR PROBLEMS! ^^ It's been and honour trying to help out poor souls out there like me, and if possible help to feedback this energy management thing to lenovo as well, im sure the voice of masses will be better heard than just me alone.

ON A SIDE NOTE: Update the bios of your systems as well! Not sure if it helps because i updated the bios as well before doing the battery :/

HAVE A GREAT DAY PEEPS! Smiley Very Happy Kudos if yall want, really appreciate it!

Blue Screen Again
Message 2 of 8 (42,275 Views)

Re: Lenovo Z400 Battery Plugged in Not Charging Problem

Hi people! update for the above message: Lenovo Energy Management is still the main culprit for the error, so pls do check that under the battery menu in LEM, IT IS SET TO 'MAXIMUM BATTERY LIFE' to enable charging to 100%, not Optimised battery health as this will allow your battery to have a longer lifespan( how many years it can last, i do not mean one charge.) 

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 8 (40,582 Views)

This was a useful start for me to find the solution to this 'problem'. You'll be pleased to know its very simple. Lenovo are trying ot be helpful and automatically decide how you want to manage your power settings and recharge settings for the battery. Simply go to Lenovo Energy Management and change the setting from Optimized Battery Health (this stops you overcharging your battery, which is why it doesnt fully recharge), to Maximum Battery Life  (which does!). Its not a problem, just a setting. However, if you want your battery to last longer, dont change it, if you want a full charge, then do.

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 8 (31,130 Views)

where do you find energy management?

Blue Screen Again
Message 5 of 8 (30,795 Views)

[ Edited ]

hartcliff wrote:

where do you find energy management?

In Windows 7:

START button > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Option > Edit Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings.

Choose "Lenovo Energy Management" tab, click the "Enable Lenovo Energy Management" button.

(Alternative route to go to the "Power Option" page, right click the battery icon (bottom right tray), click "Power Option", then continue from there.) Smiley Happy

What's DOS?
Message 6 of 8 (16,272 Views)

hi!

all the solutions you have mentioned havent worked for me Smiley Sad

i have no idea what to do, when i plug in my ac it just pops up a message saying my ac is not supported and that i have to buy a new adapter that supports the system. when i click on the link given, it starts to charge again. when i close the website that was opened due to clicking the link, it stops charging again. this kind of feels like lenovo is trying to make me buy a new adapter or something???

also, after i deleted energy manager (like you said), when i click on the batteryicon it first says "plugged in, charging", but when i click on it again, it changes to "plugged in, not charging"...

all the other possible solutions given by other blogs and stuff always say that i have to take out the battery and start it up again with the ac plugged in, but without the battery it wont start because it wont accept the ac!

im completely lost now and i really need my laptop to function properly again!! please help me!!

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 8 (11,946 Views)

It's likely the conservation mode setting - it stops at 60% - follow this link ..... https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Conservation-Mode-in-Lenovo-Energy-Manager-plug...
What's DOS?
Message 8 of 8 (11,945 Views)

Top kudoed Authors