Did you mean: 
mmdvt
Paper Tape
Views: 16,835
Message 1 of 28

Lenovo Z50-70 SSD issue

hi,

I have a couple of Lenovo Z50-70 computers (modelnr 20354). EAN: 0888772511395

I want to upgrade the laptops with a Samsung 840 Evo SSD.

But, after migration (with Samsung Migration software) the laptops have problems with booting from the SSD.
When i use a HDDcaddy (instead of the optical drive) i have the same problems.

The computer de bios herkend de originele hdd en de SSD, but i think there is a HDD priority issue in the BIOS.

I do a lot of SSD upgrades for my work, but this is new for me.
I also tried to install the original image of the HDD on the SSD
(Our image server makes the image usable for SSD).

I Hope someone can help me with this problem.

(apologize for my bad english Smiley Wink

mmdvt
Paper Tape
Views: 16,771
Message 2 of 28

Re: Lenovo Z50-70 SSD issue

So, sometimes the notebook boots well, sometime's it won't boot, sometimes after a very long LENOVO screen...

hariraj96
Token Ring
Views: 16,755
Message 3 of 28

use paragon softwaret migrate and post if issue exists
madnet
What's DOS?
Views: 16,027
Message 4 of 28

I have similar maybe BIOS dependent issue with my Lenovo Z50-70.
I planned to replace my ODD with an SSD (SAMSUNG evo840), but the machine does not detect it in the HDD Caddy.
I made a cross check to put an other HDD in the caddy instead of SSD, but it war also not detected.
If I put back the ODD it works fine......
If I replace the original HDD with the SSD it is also works,but my target is to keep the HDD as storage and add the SSD for OS.

If somebody has information please help me.

Thank You.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,023
Message 5 of 28

@madnet wrote:
I have similar maybe BIOS dependent issue with my Lenovo Z50-70.
I planned to replace my ODD with an SSD (SAMSUNG evo840), but the machine does not detect it in the HDD Caddy.
I made a cross check to put an other HDD in the caddy instead of SSD, but it war also not detected.
If I put back the ODD it works fine......
If I replace the original HDD with the SSD it is also works,but my target is to keep the HDD as storage and add the SSD for OS.

If somebody has information please help me.

Thank You.

As I understand you want to boot in a caddy containing a new ssd which is in the place of the ODD. You might not be able to do that.

Why not place the ssd in the place of the original hdd and place the original hdd in the caddy? This arrangement has a greater chance of booting the ssd.

holomouse
Paper Tape
Views: 15,578
Message 6 of 28

Hello,

I'm having same issue with my Z50-70 - I put an SSD where the primary disk was and placed the original one in a caddy replacing an ODD. The disk in the caddy (tried also other disks) is not visible in BIOS nor in the operating system. The SATA mode is set to Compatible and boot to Legacy.

Did anyone find a way to use a second HDD in the caddy?

Did anyone try to mess around with the UEFI boot menu (it is even available in this model)?

avfed
What's DOS?
Views: 15,348
Message 7 of 28

The same issue here with almost the same scenario.

What I did:

1) replaced the original HDD with new SSD

2) replaced the ODD with the original HDD using caddy

After this my laptop started to behave strangely.

The first boot after being turned off lasts for about 5-10 minutes (with Lenovo logo shown - I guess its during the POST). Then if I take a look into BIOS before the first boot it only sees the SSD and not the HDD. When the OS finally boots I can see both the SSD and HDD. If I restart the OS and look into BIOS again it also shows both disks. I've made several consequent reboots and both of them still remained available. However, after I wake the laptop from sleep/hibernate the HDD disappears and is not available anymore even after the reboot. The only way to make it available is to turn the laptop off and then again start from the beginning.

Please help to solve this. Thanks 

holomouse
Paper Tape
Views: 15,151
Message 8 of 28

Ok, so I bought a new hdd caddy.

The first time laptop got stuck for around 5 minutes at Lenovo logo and than booted, now every boot is faster but still not as fast as when caddy is taken out.

Still, the disk in the caddy is not accessible, however it is now visible in bios.

So, LENOVO, it seems there is something wrong with Z50-70s - are you going to comment on this?

yafeb
Paper Tape
Views: 15,029
Message 9 of 28

Hi all,

I also encounter such a problem with a Lenovo Z50-70 upgraded with a Crucial MX100 512Gb. Bios V26 summary of changes says that it adds workaround solution to fix black screen but I don't know if it's relative to our subject as I'm stuck with V25 and need to (re)install a working MS W8 OS before I can upgrade and test the latest BIOS. In this regard, it's a shame that Lenovo publishes only W7/8 bios upgrade utiliy and no BIOS update bootable CD as it does with Thinkpad laptop series. I'll be glad to hear someone knowing a method to get, at least, the BIOS image from the Windows executable upgrade utility.

led_zeppelin
What's DOS?
Views: 14,596
Message 10 of 28

Hey there, I have the same problem. Is there any solution?

Dear Lenovo, please response to your customers!!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors