Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,777
Message 21 of 36

Re: DVD not working

The DVD/CD is definately in the Bios, just not showing anywhere on the PC.

So, a lengthy telephone call to Lenovo? A battle with the retailer? A complaint to Microsoft?

I can just see this getting me absolutely nowhere.

Oh well...............No solutions here then

Smiley Sad

Edit;

Just got offline from Microsoft Support, basically they are saying if there are no updated drivers and the AMD chipset firmware does not work, its tough.

Nice one Lenovo. Cat Mad

Looks as though I will be using Linux for some tome yet if the retailer doesnt sort this issue out.

Pah!

Filip013
Paper Tape
Views: 12,710
Message 22 of 36

I found the solution here. To cut a long story short, you need to download and install AMD chipset driver here. If it doesn’t work automatically, go to Device Manager > IDE/ATAPI controllers and update the driver manually.

It would be nice if Lenovo uploaded the driver to their website.

mikky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,693
Message 23 of 36

Solution?

There is NO solution to this matter yet, unless you take my advice regarding a Linux installation! 

Here is a word-for-word reply from Lenovo Technical Support, dated 17/11/2015 via email;

Your customer number is 5*******

Dear ******** *******,

Thank you for contacting Lenovo UK support. I apologise for the delay replying to your e-mail.

Unfortunately we would be able to give you no time frame on when updates for the cd/dvd will be available for windows 10 im afraid. If you are unable to perform a system recovery from the harddrive to revert the machine back to windows 8 then you would have to obtain recovery media discs from the following link to put windows 8 back on the machine.

Not helpful at all. And YES I have tried 'solutions' as well as the Chipset Drivers. None of which worked, not even remotely. Honestly, this is a big, big waste of time.

So

It really seems like we are barking up the rigt tree and some one is home, but the lights are out.

I have a shedload of experience with this stuff and it has driven me to Linux Mint 17.2 rather than waste my time trying to solve this Rubiks Cube of a puzzle.

Incidentally, everything works perfectly with the above OS........so I find it very strange that Windows 10 nor Lenovo can come back with a solution for a relatively simple task when your average Linux Mint system has the answers.

BTW. The Linux Mint forums are far more helpful and resourceful than either of these companys, be it WiFi issues, or anything else for that matter.

We all wanted Windows 7 to stay really. It was stable. Well, here is your alternative, Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela. And "Bollocks" to M$.

So its no DVD for some folks, and possibly untill your warranty expires, or a roll back to a previous and worse version of Windows with 8.1. Oh WOW! What a breakthrough!

Sory Lenovo, I NEED a machine that can actuually WORK so I can complete my work tasks and feed my family into the bargain! You hopeless bunch of prostrate poking nerds.

Ha ha, well, they said Windows 10 was free, now people are paying the price with a pile useless hardware with that platform, and off go M$ again, with their half baked and hyper intrusive OS, waking all over people.

I'm disgusted with it to be totaly honest.

(I heard a roumour, that if you have CyberlinkPower2go software installed, uninstalling and then rebooting can cure this problem.

But, thats an untested theory as far as I am concerned, as I have now effectually defected and voided my warranty, but, to pot with it).

So, if you cant see reason for my reply here; you either you have the patience of a saint (and may the good lord grant you everything you wish for) or you are a dumbass masochist with no idea how the "THE ONES" will sell your information to the highest bidder.

Good luck, thank you for your answers, but Bye Bye.

Go Figure...................

Filip013
Paper Tape
Views: 12,680
Message 24 of 36

Well, I don’t mean to make trouble, but are you sure you really tried the solution on the Microsoft Community page?

When I bought my new Lenovo laptop a few weeks ago and installed Windows 10, I was really disappointed that I couldn’t make the DVD drive work. I found this topic, saw there was no solution and, miserable, I went back to Windows 8.

Earlier today I wanted to see if there was any news so I searched again and found the topic I linked to. I quickly updated to Windows 10, tried the new driver (which was probably available even before I bought my laptop) and was pleasantly surprised that it worked. I posted my comment because I wanted to let others know that this can be fixed.

So once again, the problem is not with the DVD driver itself, but with the AMD SATA Driver that you need to install. When you download and install the new driver from AMD's website, nothing will happen. You then need to go to Device Manager and update the SATA driver (I can't remember which driver Windows 10 originally installed, but it’s the one under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, possibly Standard SATA AHCI controller). Find the folder where the drivers were decompressed (it starts with C:\AMD\). Restart Windows and the DVD drive will work.

mikky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,671
Message 25 of 36

No trouble at all bud.

It didnt work for me and I followed it to the letter (20+ years of computer experience and it did me no good), hopefully your reply may well help others though.

Fingers crossed.

We are few of many.

HenryFoth
Paper Tape
Views: 12,251
Message 26 of 36

Hi everybody!

So, nobody still has a real and definitive solution for this?

mikky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,234
Message 27 of 36

Other than installing Linux Mint 17.2/3? No, apparently not......

A colleague of mine has an identical machine and has the very same problem with the DVD device.

But, rather than roll back to 8.1 he has bought himself an external DVD drive; which in my opinion, is just ignoring the fact that the machine is NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE that it was intended for. Yes, the machines were sold as "Windows 10 ready" but it seems that the platform is designed for tablet devices where DVD equipment is no longer part of the equasion.

It is pretty clear that AMD and Linux have the issue resolved, but why Microsoft and Lenovo have not addressed/ issued a fix for this, just smacks of utter lazyness or sheer ignorance.

Hell, we aren't important, we are just their customers.

Itanic
What's DOS?
Views: 12,148
Message 28 of 36

Hi guys. Stumbled upon this thread as like you all. Just bought a Z50-75 A10-7300, took the 1TB drive out and installed an SSD. Fresh reload of Win10 without all the Lenovo bloatware and et voila no DVD. Have tried all suggested registry fixes etc. Have the AMD Crimson 15.12 drivers in C:\AMD folder after installing Video drivers and chipset etc and followed these simple instructions. And here i am seeing my DVD drive again! TSSTcorp_CDDVDW_SU-228FB

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/26287-lenovo-z50-75-no-detect-plds-dvd-rw-da8a6sh.html

BTW i don't care for Linux Mint Sauce!

kibart
What's DOS?
Views: 12,130
Message 29 of 36

Great, it works! 

Thank you very much, Itanic Smiley Very Happy

mikky
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,123
Message 30 of 36

Huzza!

You sorted it out...........you clever thing.

How much did you spend on a 1TB SSD?

Thats about par for the course; throw money at it and the problems dissapear!

That's Lenovo & Microsoft for you folks......................

Hope you enjoy having your privacy stored on a foreign server, courtsey of the visionarys.

Voila indeed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors