Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 29 (542 Views)

Lenovo Z50-75 Shutting Down Randomly

I've had this laptop since Feburary of 2016, so my system is just under 2 years old and is out of warranty as of April.  It has a Windows 10 (x64 bit) operating system.  If there is additional information I need to provide, please let me know.

Starting at about a week ago, my laptop decided to shut down on its own, without any hint of a warning.  And then booted back up after a couple seconds.  It has done this a handful of times with no real pattern as I could be doing anything (ie. playing a game, drawing, or just browsing the web).  It isn't even a daily occurance, more just every other day.

I have done an entire system reset as well as run several different diagnostics checks and even virus/malware scans but everything is coming up clean, there are no detectable issues.  I have been using a universal charger for a while and only have recently heard about how they're not ideal for long-term; I am currently ordering a replacement.  A popular answer I've come across while searching online is overheating but my system isn't even remotely warm when it happens.  I don't hear any odd sounds coming from my laptop when the issue occurs either if that is a question that arises.  I am also not aware if this problem persists while disconnected from the charger as I don't tend to use it off the charger often.

What's DOS?
Message 2 of 29 (466 Views)

Re: Lenovo Z50-75 Shutting Down Randomly

[ Edited ]

Same thing happening to me. I have the same laptop, bought it summer 2015. Just recently it started randomly restarting without any warning. Does this about once or twice per day now.

Updated to the Windows 10 Fall Creators update recently. Problem started shortly after that.

Updated my BIOS yesterday hoping that would fix it, but no.

What's DOS?
Message 3 of 29 (404 Views)

Exactly the same problem here and had the laptop a similar amount of time. The 22/12/2017 was the first time it was logged in event viewer but it seems your problems started before those updates which were on the 21/12/17.  I have also ruled out overheating because I've kept an eye on temperatures and they seem normal. The only recurring description appears to be cpu fault being reported and in that case we are left with a variety of spare parts. If it continues shutting down I will replace the internal power cable which isn't soldered but clips in (I believe), as I have a spare. If I discover anything else I will return to inform other users.

What's DOS?
Message 4 of 29 (393 Views)

Thanks for letting us know
Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 29 (386 Views)

Thank you so much.  I really hope it's going to be an easy solution for us, I absolutely adore this laptop.

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 29 (358 Views)

So a bit of an update on my end, I have reason to believe it might be my battery that is faulty.  Just this morning as I hopped on my laptop, my computer had shut itself off once again.  The difference being a) it did not boot itself back up and b) I did not have my charger plugged into it.  I'll be looking into ordering a replacement battery as well in hopes it's just that (and if not, hey, spare battery!).  For now, I've returned to using charger+battery in hopes to see if plugging my laptop back in will cause it to go back to booting up after it shuts down.

What's DOS?
Message 7 of 29 (345 Views)

The problem happens to me even with the charger plugged in, so I don't think it's that. 

One thing I have noticed, though, when running SpeedFan, sometimes the temperature of my GPU suddently spikes. I wonder that's the reason?

What's DOS?
Message 8 of 29 (307 Views)

Okay - my laptop has begun the exact same thing at about the same time.  I have not checked the log, but this leads me to believe it is some type of update causing this.  I am investigating further.

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 29 (294 Views)

That's 4 of us now, all with the same problem at the same time with the same laptop.
What's DOS?
Message 10 of 29 (292 Views)

I'm at a loss.  I don't see anything in the update logs that would cause this. The laptop (I LOVE this laptop) has not done it today.  it is not overly warm and I always have it powered via cord when at home.  There has to be a cause.  I'm relieved to see it is happening to others and which leads me to believe it is software rather than hardware failure.  Anyone come up with a cause/fix, let me know.

Top kudoed Authors