Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oni
What's DOS?
Views: 33,028
Message 1 of 27

Lenovo Z500 Disable battery charge

Hello everyone,

I recently got the Z500, working under Windows 8.

I got a question regarding the battery charge. I work on the laptop for extended periods of time with the power plugged in. Since this is bad for the battery, is there any way to disable the charging or to perhaps remove the battery?

I've looked in the manual and the forums but I wasn't able to find anything similar for this model.

Would anyone know what I could do?

Thanks in Advance.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 33,157
Message 2 of 27

Re: Lenovo Z500 Disable battery charge

There is a setting in lenovo energy management which limits the battery charge limt to 60% and there after stop charging tilll battery level falls down to around 55%. This is the battery protection mode(In some laptop it is optimize for battery life or similar). Just open energy management and go to battery settings by clicking the icon. Then select the mode and voila!!
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Oni
What's DOS?
Views: 32,998
Message 3 of 27

Thank you for the reply.

The Energy Management program already came installed with the laptop, but the Maximum Battery Life kept charging it to 100%

I updated the program and now it works, past 60% it says Plugged in, not charging.

Thank you for your help!

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 32,975
Message 4 of 27

I am glad to help people!!
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
kstinque
What's DOS?
Views: 32,657
Message 5 of 27

Thank you very much for this info!  I noticed my battery wasn't charging past 60% and I thought there was a problem - very happy to come across this posting.

I too mainly work on my laptop with it plugged in.  It's weird because I have had the laptop for a couple months now and only recently did it top out at 60% - used to go al the way to 100%  - I don't think I changed the energy managment setting, but maybe I did....anyway...

Just as a point of clarification, is it better to have the the energy management set to "maximum battery life" or "optimize battery health" if we mainly work with it plugged in?  Seems your saying the latter is better for the battery, but I alwyas thought it's better to charge a battery fully rather than partially.  If I do want to keep my laptop at 100% charge, would you suggest keeping the setting at "maximum batter life" and then just unplugging the adaptor every now and then to drain / cycle the battery? 

Thanks in advance!

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 32,642
Message 6 of 27

@kstinque wrote:

Thank you very much for this info!  I noticed my battery wasn't charging past 60% and I thought there was a problem - very happy to come across this posting.

I too mainly work on my laptop with it plugged in.  It's weird because I have had the laptop for a couple months now and only recently did it top out at 60% - used to go al the way to 100%  - I don't think I changed the energy managment setting, but maybe I did....anyway...

Just as a point of clarification, is it better to have the the energy management set to "maximum battery life" or "optimize battery health" if we mainly work with it plugged in?  Seems your saying the latter is better for the battery, but I alwyas thought it's better to charge a battery fully rather than partially.  If I do want to keep my laptop at 100% charge, would you suggest keeping the setting at "maximum batter life" and then just unplugging the adaptor every now and then to drain / cycle the battery? 

Thanks in advance!

Hi 

The best way to conserve your battery lifespan is by charging your laptop till 60% when you mostly use your laptop on battery. So if you ask me, i would limit my battery charge to 60% in this condition.

As you stated above on first fully charging your laptop and then letting it discharge and again charging and so on, this is actually the main culpurit for wearing the battery. So in my view you, keep it to 60% only though it is yor wish.

Regards

arodfan90
What's DOS?
Views: 32,249
Message 7 of 27

where is the "energy management"on the z500. i dont see it anyhere. i had no idea the batt was built in. that means its going to burn quickly

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 32,241
Message 8 of 27

Hi arodfan90
Welcome to the forums
There should be a orange circle like icon with a shape circumscribed in the system tray icon in the taskbar. Do you see it?
There is an alternate way also. The directory of the energy management is C:\program files(x86)\lenovo\energy management. You can have a check there.
Have a nice day
Regards
chary1203
What's DOS?
Views: 30,509
Message 9 of 27

hello sir

I brought a new Z500 Lenovo laptop 3 days ago but there is a power problem when I am connecting my power cable I can switch on my laptop. If I remove power AD cable automatically shut downing. my battery level is not going up more than 32% please help me how to increase the battery % charging

thank u waiting for your replay 

brice572
Paper Tape
Views: 30,045
Message 10 of 27

I have the same problème than you, my battery level is not going up more than 37% and if I remove the power AD cable, my laptop shutdown!

Had you find a solution ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors