cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jacarch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 438
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Z500 (Graphics Issues) (HDD Issues)

Hello, I am posting this message on behalf of my girlfriend, she is experiencing a multitute of issues with her Lenovo Z500 Touch laptop. The computer came with Windows 8.1 installed and was very sluggish, I also noticed the lack of Nvidia graphics drivers installed dispite the large majority of people saying it does have Nvidia graphics. Because of the laptops sluggish nature I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit to see if 1. Performacnce would be improved and 2. If device manager would detect any graphics. No success, the machine slowed down even more and heres to me wondering if the HDD is an SSHD or I havent installed the correct drivers. I found the HDD was accessing heavily about 10minutes after the desktop appeared then things would speed up as the HDD stopped accessing. Games such as Sims 3 load very slowly and even Chrome and the startmenu icons fail to load when the HDD is in this "high activity" state. My main question about the Nvidia graphics  does every variant of the Z500 touch have dedicarted Nvidia graphics and if so how do i fix this issue because frame rates are low in games such as Sims 3 and even 1080p video on YouTube is struggling. Any advice or help on this problem would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance!

Main reason for posting this is because I feel slightly guilty for making a bad problem worse and I want to do all I can, I dont want my windows key to go to waste either because that was my last use on a 3 liecense disc.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 411
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo Z500 (Graphics Issues) (HDD Issues)

Installing Win 7 only worsen the problem as you have found out and might introduced additional problem/problems in particular OKR functionalities. The video display is only rated 1377 x 768 so why are you running 1080p videos. 720p might be sufficient.

Try backing up all your personal data. Then power down the unit. Press the novo button near the power jack. Select from the menu "System Recovery". In the succeding menu select "Restore to factory condition". Follow instructions.

If you can restore it to factory condition then your intoroduction of Win 7 has not done the stated additional new problem.

Jacarch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 400
Message 3 of 11

As I don't have the laptop with me as of now all I can do is speculate, my problem of the laptop struggling on 1080p video was just a statement of fact (THAT IT SHOULDNT BE STRUGGLING EVEN WITH HD4000 GRAPHICS) I know full well YouTube downscales even if you set the highest quality this can be seen by right clicking the video then selecting 'Stats for nerds' which shows the resolution selected and the actual native resolution (thats a way to get full native res on YouTube because YouTube 720p res is 1280x720. My main gripe is the graphics card though I NEEEEED to know does every variant have Nvidia graphics because if it doesnt then its new Laptop time (Which will definatley be a new manufacturer) Or fixing the driver installation issues. From what I remember the model I am having issues with has a 3rd Gen I5 Processor 4GB Ram and a 1TB HDD. (HD4000 Graphics install) But no Nvidia graphics are detected despite people saying it has Nvidia graphics across the internet.  I don't really think I worsend a problem as the machine still boots, works and plays games with the same performance as the stock install of Windows 8.1 did however it just seems un natually slow, even for a 5400RPM, I checked the drive in HD Tune and it was all fine no bad sectors and no read or write errors. Any advice or help on this problem would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 392
Message 4 of 11

@Jacarch wrote:

As I don't have the laptop with me as of now all I can do is speculate, my problem of the laptop struggling on 1080p video was just a statement of fact (THAT IT SHOULDNT BE STRUGGLING EVEN WITH HD4000 GRAPHICS) I know full well YouTube downscales even if you set the highest quality this can be seen by right clicking the video then selecting 'Stats for nerds' which shows the resolution selected and the actual native resolution (thats a way to get full native res on YouTube because YouTube 720p res is 1280x720. My main gripe is the graphics card though I NEEEEED to know does every variant have Nvidia graphics because if it doesnt then its new Laptop time (Which will definatley be a new manufacturer) Or fixing the driver installation issues. From what I remember the model I am having issues with has a 3rd Gen I5 Processor 4GB Ram and a 1TB HDD. (HD4000 Graphics install) But no Nvidia graphics are detected despite people saying it has Nvidia graphics across the internet.  I don't really think I worsend a problem as the machine still boots, works and plays games with the same performance as the stock install of Windows 8.1 did however it just seems un natually slow, even for a 5400RPM, I checked the drive in HD Tune and it was all fine no bad sectors and no read or write errors. Any advice or help on this problem would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much in advance!

I have the Z500 Touch. AFAIK, these Z500s have third gen Intel processors only. Some units only have the built-in graphics while the one that I have does have both the internal and external video graphics. They also have the mechanical hdd not the sshd but I have change mine to sshd.

As to my previous statement regarding a possible problem with OKR I standby it. Yes I would agree that the OS is running due to a change in version but what about OKR?

Jacarch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 386
Message 5 of 11

How would I find out if it is running Nvidia dedicated graphics or just onboard? and what are you refering to when you say OKR?

I don't understand what you are refering to with OKR.

I am more concerened about the graphics solution because its main use is playing games or other multimedia content. Would you reccomend an Install to Windows 8.1 again (I need alternatives though because I dont want my Windows 7 key being wasted).

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 379
Message 6 of 11

@Jacarch wrote:

How would I find out if it is running Nvidia dedicated graphics or just onboard? and what are you refering to when you say OKR?

I don't understand what you are refering to with OKR.

I am more concerened about the graphics solution because its main use is playing games or other multimedia content. Would you reccomend an Install to Windows 8.1 again (I need alternatives though because I dont want my Windows 7 key being wasted).

You might be able to get the answer to your question regarding whether you have the discrete video graphics or not by looking at this reference.

OKR means one key recovery. It is a propietary recovery program that can backup your unit and either restore the unit to factory condition or to the date you made the backup. This is a more important concern if the hdd partitions are tampered or if you change the hdd.

The product key of the pre-installed OS is embedded in bios so that if you use the same version for the OS as the pre-installed one it will not prompt you to enter it.

Jacarch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 370
Message 7 of 11

Okay regarding the HDD, all partions were deleted and the HDD was then formatted so I think I might be screwed on that point, I dont think the recovery would even be an option at this stage, if I can access the product key then how do I do that? Enter the bios then what? is there a tab with it in? It would be great if you know if I can get the HDD back to its original state by using a USB key or something of the sort provided by Lenovo. I would also appreciate if there was any oppertunity to get hold of a legitimate install of Windows 8.1 using this Laptops product key. This is one whole big mess that really because of an incompetant and *APPLE* like company has caused a huge headache, PCs are meant to be customised not locked down by terrible policies any recovery options should not be named (UNKNOWN PARTITION) and should be on CMOS.

Jacarch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 367
Message 8 of 11

I also identified that the Z500 Touch of this varient does not have the Nvidia graphics only the i7 model has Nvidia graphics. However something I noticed which was interesting was that the laptop I have here has 4GB RAM and an I5 proccessor which those specs are not listed together in the PDF you sent.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 359
Message 9 of 11

@Jacarch wrote:

Okay regarding the HDD, all partions were deleted and the HDD was then formatted so I think I might be screwed on that point, I dont think the recovery would even be an option at this stage, if I can access the product key then how do I do that? Enter the bios then what? is there a tab with it in? It would be great if you know if I can get the HDD back to its original state by using a USB key or something of the sort provided by Lenovo. I would also appreciate if there was any oppertunity to get hold of a legitimate install of Windows 8.1 using this Laptops product key. This is one whole big mess that really because of an incompetant and *APPLE* like company has caused a huge headache, PCs are meant to be customised not locked down by terrible policies any recovery options should not be named (UNKNOWN PARTITION) and should be on CMOS.

If you go to this link you can get a legit copy of Win 8.1 free using the indicated media creation tool. To select the version that is the same as the pre-installed OS select Win 8.1 64bit only (which does not require you to enter the product key). Do not select the Pro version because its going to ask you to enter the product key.

You can use some third party software like Belarc to determine the product key. However, you might not need this if you choose the version as instructed above.

Jacarch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 353
Message 10 of 11

So about the partitions is there any way I can retrive a copy of that or some kind of a reset so the partitions re enable? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors