Did you mean: 
Highlighted
maddoctor
Paper Tape
Views: 920
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Z500 Touch Keyboard Backlight Not Working

Hi all,

I've had my Lenovo ideaPad Z500 Touch for 2 years already, and this is the first time my KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT has stopped working. I am using Windows 8.1 (always updated) on a 64-bit OS. There has been no trauma to the device prior to the disfunction, however I did recently install CCleaner to my laptop to speed up the starting time (which may or may not have anything to do with the disfunction, but I am bookmarking it as a possibility since before installation my keyboard backlight was working just fine). Around the same time I also recently updated

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - March 2015 (KB890830) upon recommendation from Windows Update, prior to which there was also nothing wrong with my keyboard backlight.

(1) I have tried the Fn+SpaceBar option (as I usually do to toggle on/off when I'm doing work), but the backlight still does not turn on.

(2) I have tried reinstalling Lenovo Energy Management (as has been recommended in previous posts), but it still does not work even after restarting.

Since the last post on this was some time ago (last one on 2nd January 2014 with solutions that do not work for me), I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me on this issue.

Thank you so much,

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 915
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Z500 Touch Keyboard Backlight Not Working

Just to check if the backlight can be restored: can you try restoring to a date before the installation of ccleaner and the malicious software removal?

maddoctor
Paper Tape
Views: 909
Message 3 of 6

Hi LenBlazer,

Thanks for a prompt reply.

Yes I've tried restoring to an earlier point but the keyboard backlight is still not turning on with Fn+SpaceBar. My Fn key on the other hand seems to work just fine with other input buttons.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 902
Message 4 of 6

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - March 2015 (KB890830) is an option so can you temporarily uninstall this through Control Panel.

Then in an elevated command prompt you can check the system file integrity by running sfc /scannow.

maddoctor
Paper Tape
Views: 893
Message 5 of 6

Hi LenBlazer,

Thanks again for a prompt reply.

After manually uninstalling the update, Fn+Spacebar still didn't work. After running a system file integrity, the results came out as There was no violation of system integrity.

However, unrelated to the timing of either of the above but occuring some 5 minute afterwards, the KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT flickered on like normal. I was even able to toggle on/off freely with Fn+Spacebar. Unfortunately upon restart, the problem of the keyboard backlight being turned off persisted.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 879
Message 6 of 6

maddoctor wrote: "...However, unrelated to the timing of either of the above but occuring some 5 minute afterwards, the KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT flickered on like normal. I was even able to toggle on/off freely with Fn+Spacebar. Unfortunately upon restart, the problem of the keyboard backlight being turned off persisted."

That might mean that physically a loose connection or dirty connection exist. You might try openning up the unit and try cleaning the smaller keyboard cable connectors using a pencil eraser. Refer to the hardware maintenance manual on how to go about it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors