Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kuttappan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,613
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Z5070 HDD to SSD Migration

I have bought a samsung evo 250gb ssd to install my os partition to it from my HDD. I have created a recovery usb drive from my present HDD(controlpanel->recovery->create usb recovery). Then removed the HDD from the slot & replaced it with SSD & boot the system.

While booting up i have selected boot from my USB drive which have the recovery, & continue the steps & finally submit the reset button.

System shows "Resetting the PC" & after 10 seconds it shows a screen saying 'There was a problem resetting the PC, no changes were made'. I have tried several times but the same message came.

Can any one please help whether the steps followed by me are correct , else please help me.

Because i'm facing very much slowness with my present HDD(WD 5400 rpm), that's what i'm planned to move the os partition to SSD & keep the HDD in place of optical drive bay using a caddy.

I don't want to loose my Genuine Windows 10 with my present system.

So please help me with a resolution.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,591
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Z5070 HDD to SSD Migration

Why not make a disk image of the hdd using Macrium reflect. Then restore it to the ssd. It should make life easier since macrium will do all the adjustment of the different sizes of the partitions. Of course you have to set the bios so that the first boot will be the ssd. 

Kuttappan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,588
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the replySmiley Happy,

Can you please tell how can i restore the disk image created using macrium reflect from HDD to SSD. 

Will that disk image contains all the system partition details which is necessary to boot the system from SSD.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,590
Message 4 of 9

Download Macrium Reflect Free version and install it in the hdd. Run it and select "backup windows". Select all partitions and select where to save the image (usually an external drive). Then Create Rescue media which you will use to boot the pc. Once booted select the image and restore it. That's it. You may have to remove the HDD and palce the ssd in its place or just interchange the connection if you want the ssd and hdd.

Kuttappan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,560
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, It works Smiley Happy.

One more thing, if i place the old hdd to the optical drive bay with out removing the system partitions like (C, Recovery partition...), still it cause any problem for booting from the SSD, because both the HDD & SSD contains system & recovery partition.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,555
Message 6 of 9

If you select that the ssd will be the first boot disk in the bios it should not boot the hdd in the optical drive bay. See if it works else you may have to reformat the hdd so that the system on it will be erase Or just delete the windows and programs folder.

Kuttappan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,551
Message 7 of 9

Ok, My Optical Drive Caddy is on the way. Will check & let you know once it's delivered.

Kuttappan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,526
Message 8 of 9

Yes, it's booting from the SSD only. But one problem i'm facing is that some times the system is not recognizing the HDD on my ODD caddy. Mostly it happens when i restart the system. Device mamanger also not list the HDD drive in such case. Once i shutdown it and start it again, HDD in caddy will shows up and i can use it as normal.

Ca you have a guess what could be the reason for it.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,522
Message 9 of 9

It could be the ODD caddy. Why not just use an external usb hdd case? If the hdd is recognize using the usb hdd case then you have narror down the ODD caddy to be the culprit.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors