Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltoKos
Paper Tape
Views: 9,546
Message 291 of 452

Re: Lenovo Z510 Battery Issues

I'm using new battery from ebay and universal charge for a month now. I don't have any problem. But if we want to be sure... we have to wait months...

Anyway. For those who don't want to pay for the battery, you can send it to Lenovo. They will replace the battery for sure. Then you can use your universal charger.
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,517
Message 292 of 452

@Vale7

I am ready to follow your identity procedure, which in summary is:
1) enter the BIOS and let the computer is completely discharged (no power)
2) insert the new charger and let it charge the computer turned up to 100%.
All right ?
The deterioration of the battery I think it's quite normal considering the many that have suffered sudden shutdowns.
From my point of view, the sudden shutdowns are the biggest problems:
since you started to load the computer with the new charger, using the computer without charger, you've had shutdowns sudden while you were using?
Thanks in advance for your patience

Vale7
Serial Port
Views: 9,501
Message 293 of 452

@UnknownXX
You're welcome! Yes, 1) and 2) is what I did. And yes, after this process the charge level went up and down normally giving me the warning of low battery without sudden shutdowns.

Anyway. During the last 2 days something weird is happening again. As I said the battery wear level (detected by HWMonitor and other software) was up to 44% after 11 months. Yesterday, I checked again and it had reduced to 30%. Today, it's 12%. Now, since I don't believe in the Resurrection of Dead Batteries, I'm starting to think that maybe the charge level readings AND any reading related to the battery (like the wear level) were wrong from the beginning, due to something I can't figure out (possibly the AC charger). A hint is that when the PC couldn't go down from 100%, the charge lasted for more than 3 hours (once about 4!) before the shutdown, about as much as it did 11 months ago. Today, though, since it's discharging more slowly, I will try to see if it gives the low battery warning or not. If it shuts down unexpectedly... sadly, everything I've done will be useless. *sigh* I'll tell you what happens.

Vale7
Serial Port
Views: 9,490
Message 294 of 452

Sigh. Bad news. One moment the charge was 54% (after 2+ hours from 100%), the next I turned away for a minute and when I came back the computer had turned off. I plugged the charger in and turned it on again and discovered that it was at 0%... but, at least it hibernated (I didn't open a new session, everything was as I left it) instead of shutting down. I'll ask for the new battery as soon as possible, I guess. Hoping that's the actual problem... if not, I don't really know what else to do.

It's charging normally, or so it seems. It doesn't get stuck and then go to 100% all of a sudden, for now. But this behaviour is not normal... sorry for the bad news guys! Seems like I indeed spoke too soon.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,486
Message 295 of 452

@Vale7

It 's really incredible this situation .. I'm really sorry and upset. Apparently it is a problem in the battery ... Now are you going to do other tests or you will send your computer in for service?

chavanshashank
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,465
Message 296 of 452

@Vale7 Apparently your battery is dead then!

Those whose laptop is shutting down directly and want to prevent it by hibernating automatically, instead of sudden shut down/crash

Go to Power Options > Select "Change plan settings" on a battery mode /plan which you want > Change advanced power settings

Then do the following settings (I assume your battery is dead like mine)

mix.jpg

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 9,427
Message 297 of 452

Guys, unfortunately update you with bad news.

I got the new charger I follow the same procedure done by vale7:
I enter the BIOS and let the computer turns itself off and then put it to load with the new charger.
I can say that the new loader loaded the computer slowly than the original charger lenovo, but the positive thing is that the percentage of the charge went up one by one.
The first sign that I realized that something was wrong I had when I saw that the battery percentage never reached 100%, but step by step reached 99% remained stationary says "connected and charging."
Small note: I thought this was a negative signal because when your computer was working well (at the beginning) with the original charger Lenovo charging reached 100% with "plugged in but not charging".
After waiting in vain, I decided to unplug the charger and use your computer normally keeping open "management activities" (read on and you'll understand why): initially the computer was fine, the clock was variable (after you'll understand), the mode was "performance high "and the percentage of battery decreased one by one, everything was normal.
Everything was normal until I reached about 60%, at one point I noticed through "management activities" that the processor clock was stuck at 0,77Ghz: this was the second sign that something was wrong.
Small note: the experience of previous problems and previous tests, I suppose that when the processor clock is stuck at 0.77 GHz is as if the computer came into power saving .... And in fact after 5 minutes: Poof! Sudden shutdown!
That's it guys!
Where are you Lenovo?

chavanshashank
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,397
Message 298 of 452

Lenovo has abandoned us thinking that changing batteries and charger free of cost for all our laptop will bankrupt them(of course they won't become bankrupt Smiley Very Happy ).. Smiley Tongue

Vale7
Serial Port
Views: 9,377
Message 299 of 452

I'm really tired of all of this, so I sent it for repair. I wouldn't if it was a "cheap" computer, but since it's not even a year, and since I payed it a lot more than the computers I usually buy... I hope they do repair it, at least, or that they put a new battery so it'll last another year or so, if this problem is going to pop up again. The guy I gave it to said "oh you just need to calibrate the battery". I almost wanted to cry (and/or strangle someone). At last he accepted to send it for repair.

I'll have news in a few weeks, hopefully no more than a month... or two... and hopefully good news. I'm not trusting anyone at this point, especially Lenovo people, though. Until two weeks ago I was telling everyone how great my computer was. Now, I certainly won't recommend Lenovo to anyone anymore.

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 9,542
Message 300 of 452

In response to customer reports of unexpected issues with battery performance on Z500 and Z510 laptops, Lenovo is making a battery firmware update available via download from the Lenovo Forums.

This battery firmware is intended to resolve the following unexpected charging symptoms when a Z500 or Z510 laptop is powered on:

• Battery is dead
  • Battery is not detected
  • Battery is detected and charged to 100% but when AC power is removed, the laptop immediately powers off
  • When the battery is fully charged and AC power is removed, battery level falls dramatically within 10 minutes

Please note a step-by-step procedure for upgrading the firmware is included in the .zip file, found in the "ReadMe" folder.

The battery firmware update can be downloaded here: https://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/sm/z500_z510_battery_firmware_update.zip

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors