Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prashant1926
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,271
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Z510 - Number of RAM Slots

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade RAM of my Lenovo Z510 (Model 20287, MTM: 59400189) from current 8GB to 16GB. 

Product Overview  page is showing it has x2 DDR3 slots:   Standard memory:   DDR3-1600/1333MHz SODIMM × 2 (max 16 GB)

But, in ubuntu,  sudo lshw -class memory is showing it has 4 slots. Two filled with 4GB modules and other two are empty. 

Using CPU-z in Windows, is showing nothing in SPD tab. (grayed screen) 

Crucial System Scanner is showing it has only two RAM slots, both occupied by 4GB modules. 

Now, I am confused. How many slots does this system actually has? I know one option is to open the panel and see it there. But, disassembly of this system is much complicated, so I don't want to take risk just for counting slots. 

Can someone help me with actual number of memory slots this laptop has, so that I can plan upgrade accordingly. 

Thanks.

z510 - Memory Slots.png

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,248
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Z510 - Number of RAM Slots

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Your Z510 model only has 2 memory slots available.  The Ubuntu utility you are using is in error.  The most likely cause of this error is that the utility is basing its results on the chipset installed on your motherboard.  That same chipset when used on a desktop motherboard would have 4 memory slots available where as a laptop only has 2. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

prashant1926
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,228
Message 3 of 6

@Majestic, Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it makes more sense that ubuntu utility might be reading it in wrong way.

It is sad to know that this system has only two slots and both are already occupied. RAM upgrade for this system isn't going to be economical.

One more question: Is there some reliable software to get this kind of info, if required in future? I'm also unable to find datasheet for this system's motherboard.

cabbton
Punch Card
Views: 5,216
Message 4 of 6

It is not that the utility is incorrect nor is it based on the chipset per se, since the HM86 chipset of the Z510 will normally always have only two slots. The utlity and Lenovo's own Companion read the capability of the Haswell processor, which is capable of 4 slots. The Z510 has only 2 slots for a maximum capacity of 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1.35L 1600 ram. This ram can be bought from places such as Crucial for around £100 and you could then sell your 2x 4GB sticks on Ebay. So 'expensive' is relative.

Although not the easiest laptop to disassemble it is reasonably straightforward and all procedures and specs can be found in the Hardware Maintenance Manual: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_z410z510z510touch_hmm.pdf

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 5,202
Message 5 of 6

prashant1926, there is no specific data sheet for the motherboard that I am aware of.  There should be a PSREF data sheet that cover the specifications for the entire laptop, but unfortunately I having difficulty locating one for the Z510 at the moment.  Seems like Lenovo Support has re-arranged things again and broke my previously saved links.   

As for a good hardware audit utility that is 100% accurate,  I have yet to find one.  Since they are all susceptible to having a quirk or two, I tend not to base my findings on just one utility.  I use more than one and then draw my conclusion based on the multiple results. 

Cabbton, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with the Z510 model.  Most helpful.

Edit:

prashant1926, here is probably the best specification information that I have found thus far.....

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd030324

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

prashant1926
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,171
Message 6 of 6

@cabbton - Thank you for your reply and explaining the cause of descrepancy of output of linux utility and other online resources.

@majestic - Thank you so much for your efforts and providing the link.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors