Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cloyster
What's DOS?
Views: 711
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo Z510 SSD Upgrade Issues

Hi,

I've recently installed an OCZ Arc 100 SSD into my Z510 laptop via a SATA caddy that replaces the optical drive.

The advertised sequential speed of the drive is around 480 MB/s read/write however AS SSD Benchmark is informing me that I am getting just under 250 MB/s in sequential read/write. 

Getting precisely SATA II speeds seems like more than a coincidence, however I thought that my Z510 is SATA III compatible.

Any ideas on what might be causing my SSD to be capping at SATA II speeds? I really need the drive to perform at full speed as I am using my laptop for (intensive disk streaming) audio production.

Thanks,

Alastair

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 706
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo Z510 SSD Upgrade Issues

@cloyster wrote:

Hi,

I've recently installed an OCZ Arc 100 SSD into my Z510 laptop via a SATA caddy that replaces the optical drive.

The advertised sequential speed of the drive is around 480 MB/s read/write however AS SSD Benchmark is informing me that I am getting just under 250 MB/s in sequential read/write. 

Getting precisely SATA II speeds seems like more than a coincidence, however I thought that my Z510 is SATA III compatible.

Any ideas on what might be causing my SSD to be capping at SATA II speeds? I really need the drive to perform at full speed as I am using my laptop for (intensive disk streaming) audio production.

Thanks,

Alastair

Its your caddy. Try placing the ssd in place of the hdd and test again.

Hobena
What's DOS?
Views: 282
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo Z510 SSD Upgrade Issues

I believe my reply is too late but anyways your optical driver sata connector version is 1 not sata 3 that's the bottleneck.
You can connect old hdd to the caddy and connect the ssd as a main drive in sata 3 connector then you can get the full speed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors