Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
izhassan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,800
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Z510 Shutdown issue

I bought a Lenovo Z510 a year ago with the following configuration...

Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64-bit (I got the laptop with Windows 8.0 and I installed 8.1 Pro myself).

CPU
Intel Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.20GHz 52 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
LENOVO VIUU4 (U3E1)

Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Lenovo)
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (Lenovo) 39 °C

Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000LM014-SSHD-8GB (SATA) 40 °C

Optical Drives
PLDS DVD-RW DU8A5SH

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

The issue I am facing is that my laptop used to shutdown when the battery was charging . I would be working on something and the laptop would just switch off. The place where I bought it from replaced the charger once, the motherboard a second time and the third time they replaced the charger again at which point the problem seemed to have stopped. This was about 7 months ago in which time I haven't faced that problem again.

Recently, I was playing a game on my laptop and the power was plugged in and the battery was charging from 15% and the laptop switched off. This happens whenever I run the game and the laptop is plugged in to power supply. However, if I run the game on just battery itself, I face no shutdown issues. 

Can anyone help me?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,769
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Z510 Shutdown issue

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Have you ever checked the temperatures to see if that is the cause of the shutdown ?    Use the free utility HWMonitor to see what the temperatures are when gaming with it plugged in and when gaming on battery only.  The program comes in two versions.  The first will install on your hard drive.  The second is a compressed version that can be unzipped and then copied onto a flash drive for a portable version. 

Here is a link to that free program......

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Since the laptop has been in use for 7 months, if you never blew out the dust from the fan and heat sink you might give that a try as well.  Accumulated dust will increase temperatures and reduce the fan's performance.   Just use short bursts of compressed air in the intake and exhaust vents several times.  Avoid long blasts as they may damage the fan.  Cans of compressed air can be purchased from any computer or electronics store. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

gor37
Paper Tape
Views: 2,538
Message 3 of 9

i have exactly the same  issue . z510 shuts down completely when i   want to play game  and even  sometimes while watching youtube,  and when  plugged in.
  i do not know what to do. how much  new motherboard will cost?

gor37
Paper Tape
Views: 2,512
Message 4 of 9

with my lenovo z510 there is no overheating  100 percent.  but it shuts down when   plugged in. i do not  know what to do.
i bouyght it  1.4   years ago

jcciervo
What's DOS?
Views: 2,235
Message 5 of 9

With my Z510, after less than a year of use I noticed that the unit would shut down even if the battery is still around 30%. I used the battery gauge reset a couple of times then I noticed improvement. Battery lasted longer slowly until it never shuts down even if it's already less than 5%... Just make sure to use your battery gauge reset regulary and use "fan dust removal" as well. I hope this would help your case.

I have another issue though. After upgrading to windows to 8.1 (this was around 7 months since i purchased my Z510), suddenly no sound came out of the speaker. I didn't have time to raise the issue to the lenovo service center thinking there should be some solutions in the net. Unfortunately, even until today I still haven't found any.. No driver updates solved the problem. :'(( If any of you experienced the same thing, will appreciate much some info.

epanosian
Punch Card
Views: 2,141
Message 6 of 9

i have exactly the same  issue . z510 shuts down completely. I installed Linux which is not using a lot of resources, but still the same.

Mariqus
Punch Card
Views: 2,019
Message 7 of 9

I have excatly the same issue with my Z510 when i'm running games. Sometimes it shutdowns with "Pop" sound (not from speakers).

There are topics on Lenovo russian community forum like this. But problem not solved yet, too.

Mariqus
Punch Card
Views: 2,017
Message 8 of 9

Man, may be you found the solution? =)

epanosian
Punch Card
Views: 1,720
Message 9 of 9

Check out current deals!